DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a prop studio in Monterey, CA and I am building what is essentially a chandelier. A pile of skulls with 5 candles on 5 of the skulls in the pile. So I need to wire 5 - 40 w flicker bulbs with the small chandelier bases to one power cord.

I need to know what wire I should use, connectors, cords. I assume I can just wire all 5 lights to a cut off extension cord and use twist caps and electrical tape to make sure things stay put. I want to make sure things don't catch fire, kill people, or simply fail to work.

This is for indoor use.

Thanks
Luke

· Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Seems to me that this is a for profit business. Being as such, do your own homework.

· Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
If you are building this fixture for your prop studio, you really should carefully check first to see if using this home made light is going to void your business insurance against fire. The reason is that there is no way you are going to get an Underwriter Laboratory approval for a home made fixture, so you will be knowingly installing an unapproved fixture. While this might not be a problem in your home, in the sense that your homeowner's insurance might pay off if you burned your house down because of faulty wiring, the same might not be true in a business environment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.