DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my water softener and now the water has a musty smell like an old towel. Here's the story. We moved to a new house in 2016 and the water softener is actually from my old house that we took apart and moved with us. We finally got around to installing it and filled it up with salt and it went through a regeneration cycle. The water was first brown but then cleared up after running the taps for a minute but its been 2 days and the water still has a musty smell. Soap does bubble more and the water does feel "softer" but the smell is still there. I used the whirlpool water softener cleaner in the brine tank and re ran a regeneration cycle and ran the cold tap for 5 min and the water still smelled. Is this something I can fix or is the softener gone bad and is causing me harm by ingenesting something I shouldn't. Any help would be appreciated, and the model if anyone is interested is a kenmore 300 series

·
Usually Confused
8,213 Posts
Since it sat for four years, the resin bed may be full of mould or other organic material. Water softener cleaners are usually just to remove iron from the resin bed. You could try replacing the resin, or contact a water treatment service for their thoughts. It's a pretty unusual situation.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
It is used and it sat around for 4 years. Whirlpool softeners are not expensive. I wouldn’t consider putting another cent in it, I would buy a new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it sat for four years, the resin bed may be full of mould or other organic material. Water softener cleaners are usually just to remove iron from the resin bed. You could try replacing the resin, or contact a water treatment service for their thoughts. It's a pretty unusual situation.
Would it be safe to use for now, or should I shut it off.

·
Usually Confused
8,213 Posts
Would it be safe to use for now, or should I shut it off.
No clue without a water test. Mine was just a guess since I have no experience with using a softener that has sat for several years and I couldn't think of anything else that would cause a smell like that. If there is an issue with the resin bed the device should be on bypass so your water isn't running through it.

I tend to agree that, unless a pro has a definitive answer, it might be worth considering a new machine. It sounds like a pretty uncommon situation and their might not be a lot of knowledge on it; I can't say I've ever heard of somebody taking plumbing components with them when changing houses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No clue without a water test. Mine was just a guess since I have no experience with using a softener that has sat for several years and I couldn't think of anything else that would cause a smell like that. If there is an issue with the resin bed the device should be on bypass so your water isn't running through it.

I tend to agree that, unless a pro has a definitive answer, it might be worth considering a new machine. It sounds like a pretty uncommon situation and their might not be a lot of knowledge on it; I can't say I've ever heard of somebody taking plumbing components with them when changing houses.
Yea brought it with us, call it being cheap not to buy a new one, but I guess I might have to now since we waited so long to install it at the new place or just take it out and clean it out and put in new resin beads

·
Usually Confused
8,213 Posts
Yea brought it with us, call it being cheap not to buy a new one, but I guess I might have to now since we waited so long to install it at the new place or just take it out and clean it out and put in new resin beads
Around here that would require a specific exclusion clause in the 'agreement of purchase and sale' unless you removed it before listing. Regardless, you could try changing the beads - you've come this far without a softener - if you are willing to dink around with it. It's cheaper than a new unit but there's a chance it might be sunk money if it doesn't solve your problem.

I'd still keep the water on bypass until this is solved, and still recommend water testing. mould (if that's what it is) is fungal and I'd rather not be drinking it or breathing its aerosol in the shower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts