DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
What are you trying to do? Inform or ask a question?
Ron

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm trying to find out the correct way of doing this. I see this type of framing, but I'm not sure I understand how to do it. At this point I think I should do simular to the pics, but I'm not finding any books or pics that show what I'm doing.
If I understand it correctly, I should have a valley at the point where the wall changes, then a hip where it corners back to the 15' part. I've seen pics where I just tie back to the larger hip behind it for support.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
You can have either a live valley or a blind valley. A live valley is with a valley rafter and a blind valley is built on top of the decking of the main roof.

Your ridge board will be the same length as your top plate from the main part of the house out to the front of the protrusion. If your plate comes out 2 feet your ridge board will be 2 feet.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Well I'm trying to find out the correct way of doing this. I see this type of framing, but I'm not sure I understand how to do it. At this point I think I should do simular to the pics, but I'm not finding any books or pics that show what I'm doing.
If I understand it correctly, I should have a valley at the point where the wall changes, then a hip where it corners back to the 15' part. I've seen pics where I just tie back to the larger hip behind it for support.
Pick up a roof framing book. Go to You tube and search for hip roof framing and watch a few videos.
Picture=thousand words.
Ron

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pick up a roof framing book. Go to You tube and search for hip roof framing and watch a few videos.
Picture=thousand words.
Ron
That's actually what I was doing, and it failed. Not 1 book at B&N had but a brief description of hip roofs, and not 1 had a wall that wasn't even. Utube, had only a few, and they discussed the classic square or rectangle house, didn't find anything but the simple examples.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
That's actually what I was doing, and it failed. Not 1 book at B&N had but a brief description of hip roofs, and not 1 had a wall that wasn't even. Utube, had only a few, and they discussed the classic square or rectangle house, didn't find anything but the simple examples.
Then you might be over your framing head.
Ron

·
11,730 Posts

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
Karl,

This is from your thread in the roofing forum that I answered yesterday.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/framing-hip-roof-84503/

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, sorry I didn't read the other post yet. I think I got a handle on it now, I'll know for sure when I build it in a the next few days. Just had record rainfall and I had no roof on 1/2 the house. Built a plastic/tarp roof and it held up very well (I got lucky). Now it's going to be hit/miss for a while. It's actually kinda amazing how it all comes together, all these triangles making larger plains.
I only wish I started 1 month sooner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts