DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
Would this be adequate ?
Yes - though you can also look at https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdg-budget-washable-20x25x1/1000431031

Tighter weave than fiberglass so should be more effective.

The ultimate solution is to install a 4 or 5" media filter cabinet which takes a filter which does a really good job without being restrictive. But, it's best done when replacing the furnace -> I would just use low-restriction 1" filters until the furnace gets replaced.

1" pleat 16x25 is generally only good for up to 60 000 - 70 000 btu high efficiency and 2.5 tons of a/c max.

Reactions: supers05

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes - though you can also look at https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdg-budget-washable-20x25x1/1000431031

Tighter weave than fiberglass so should be more effective.

The ultimate solution is to install a 4 or 5" media filter cabinet which takes a filter which does a really good job without being restrictive. But, it's best done when replacing the furnace -> I would just use low-restriction 1" filters until the furnace gets replaced.

1" pleat 16x25 is generally only good for up to 60 000 - 70 000 btu high efficiency and 2.5 tons of a/c max.
Thanks man, I’ll grab this today at Home Depot

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
Don't forget a digital lab or cooking thermometer for setup of generic motor for proper airflow in heating mode. (if u don't have one)

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
which motor did you order? does it come with the interface? (to adapt it to your furnace)

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I got in contact with a store a couple hours a way from me and they have a generic model that they said will work for $700.
Will do a bit more research but think I will settle on this if I can’t find an alternative
This one

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
The motor came in today, I plan on installing it later today or tmw. I went over the contents and every thing looks good, the only think I am not sure of is the setting on the module. Not sure if I should switch it or 24V or PWM. Anyone have an idea?
You'll need to set the heating speed based on temperature rise on high fire with a low restriction filter in there.
Tape door switch closed, jumper W1 and W2 together if nothing is connected to W2, run furnace with blower access closed for 15 minutes and measure temperatures in supply and return ducts, subtract.

Check rise range on nameplate and if needed, open blower access panel with furnace still running and increase to reduce temp difference, decrease to increase temperature difference.
Shoot for the middle to lower end of the range, wait 10 minutes after adjustment with blower compartment access panel closed and check again, adjust again until it's where desired.

Removed the jumper between W1 and W2, cycle furnace off, turn it so it runs on low heat the same way and see if the temp difference is within range.
I don't recommend a difference on low below 40F.

Adjust down slightly on low heat if needed, then recheck on high fire.

Low and high are not separately adjustable on this motor/module, so there's a chance you'll have to make it run a little hotter on high heat (reduced speed) but still within range to not make the supply air too cool on low heat.
On high heat, I don't recommend a difference above 55F.

Too much or too little airflow is harmful to the furnace.

Attachments

Reactions: supers05

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
You'll need to set the heating speed based on temperature rise on high fire with a low restriction filter in there.
Tape door switch closed, jumper W1 and W2 together if nothing is connected to W1, run furnace with blower access closed for 15 minutes and measure temperatures in supply and return ducts, subtract.

Check rise range on nameplate and if needed, open blower access panel with furnace still running and increase to reduce temp difference, decrease to increase temperature difference.
Shoot for the middle to lower end of the range, wait 10 minutes after adjustment with blower compartment access panel closed and check again, adjust again until it's where desired.

Removed the jumper between W1 and W2, cycle furnace off, turn it so it runs on low heat the same way and see if the temp difference is within range.
I don't recommend a difference on low below 40F.

Adjust down slightly on low heat if needed, then recheck on high fire.

Low and high are not separately adjustable on this motor/module, so there's a chance you'll have to make it run a little hotter on high heat (reduced speed) but still within range to not make the supply air too cool on low heat.
On high heat, I don't recommend a difference above 55F.

Too much or too little airflow is harmful to the furnace.
I understood most of what you said here but can you explain “jumper W1 and W2” I know this is sort of the power supply yeah runs into the motor

41 - 60 of 64 Posts