DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blown motor, that i was hoping to replace after getting a 3k quote. i Have located a few off of Ebay that are used for $300-$500 but I understand that he needs to be "Programmed"

i was obviously hoping to be to just order the exact same model with same specs and just install it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or the programming aspect of this.
This is the specs of the ECM motor and ill attach a photo of the model of the furnace
Model 5SEA39rl
V 120/240
HZ60/50 PH 1
HP 1
A 12.8/7.0
RPM 1050

I can try my best to provide any more details.

thanks in advance for all the hype

Attachments

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
Repair clinic shows this as the replacement when looking up your model: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Blower-Motor/0231K00037A/2645278

Just keep in mind that if you spend $1k us+ shipping, the rest of the parts are the same age and out of warranty.

You should know 115k btu 90%+ furnace is huge - few homes need that size.
Most homes heat on 40-70k btu 90%+ unless you're in a place where it drops below -35 excluding wind chill.
If the furnace is indeed grossly oversized - on top of needing a very expensive repair and most likely needing more parts to get 5 years out of it (expect the inducer at least to go, possibly igniter, pressure switches, main board), imo replacement is the way to go.

Normally I'm against replacing furnaces under 20 years old unless the heat exchanger is cracked/bad, but sometimes it's the best way to go, sorry to say.

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repair clinic shows this as the replacement when looking up your model: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Blower-Motor/0231K00037A/2645278

Just keep in mind that if you spend $1k us+ shipping, the rest of the parts are the same age and out of warranty.

You should know 115k btu 90%+ furnace is huge - few homes need that size.
Most homes heat on 40-70k btu 90%+ unless you're in a place where it drops below -35 excluding wind chill.
If the furnace is indeed grossly oversized - on top of needing a very expensive repair and most likely needing more parts to get 5 years out of it (expect the inducer at least to go, possibly igniter, pressure switches, main board), imo replacement is the way to go.

Normally I'm against replacing furnaces under 20 years old unless the heat exchanger is cracked/bad, but sometimes it's the best way to go, sorry to say.
My concern is this isnt the original motor that came with the unit as the previous owner believes this motor was chanced a few years before i moved into the home. Is it possible that it originally had a PSC motor and was changed to an ECM?
im really just hoping i can plug in the replacement through the 2 connection points attached to the module and call it a day

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
No - a psc motor can't be used in your furnace.
Possible the motor has been replaced before.

High duct pressure due to having an oversized furnace on undersized duct kills ecm blower motors.
Can you describe the house and tell us where you're located?
If you have access to your duct trunk lines, can you measure and post the sizes?
There is zero value in changing the blower motor at this point if you have severely undersized ducts for what's installed.

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No - a psc motor can't be used in your furnace.
Possible the motor has been replaced before.

High duct pressure due to having an oversized furnace on undersized duct kills ecm blower motors.
Can you describe the house and tell us where you're located?
If you have access to your duct trunk lines, can you measure and post the sizes?
There is zero value in changing the blower motor at this point if you have severely undersized ducts for what's installed.
i am located just outside of Toronto, I think the cause may have been infrequently changing the filter and the dirty filter caused an airflow restriction

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
i am located just outside of Toronto, I think the cause may have been infrequently changing the filter and the dirty filter caused an airflow restriction
...that may have contributed to it - but filter can be too restrictive from day one. So can ducts.
If you have a regular 16x25x1" filter, fiberglass is the only thing that can be safely used on such a large furnace.

How old is your house?
What size it it? Number of stories, physical shape (square vs rectangle), detached vs town or semi?
Size of thunk lines in furnace room/basement? (what you can access)
Number of supply vents, duct sizes feeding them? (you can tell by removing grill and measuring inside)

What I'm getting at is that we need to see if your current furnace is even close to appropriate for your home - if it is not, it makes zero sense to proceed with such an expensive motor replacement, as you would continue to have issues if it is grossly oversized.

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...that may have contributed to it - filter could have been severely undersized for airflow required too.
If you have a regular 16x25x1" filter, fiberglass is the only thing that can be safely used on such a large furnace.

How old is your house?
What size it it? Number of stories, physical shape (square vs rectangle), detached vs town or semi?
house is 30 years old, 3000 sq ft, 2 floors, big square

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
house is 30 years old, 3000 sq ft, 2 floors, big square
That furnace is 80k btu on low, so can likely change the motor if you want and disable high heat entirely and have enough heat in that home. 115k is too big, normally you would be in the 80-100 max btu range for that home depending on ceiling heights how tight it is it, window area, etc.

The key if you replace the motor/module is to use the amana part number to find the part so it has the right programming, not the generic number.
You can't program the module yourself.

Repair clinic lists as -> 0231K00037A

ps, ignore the idiot troll below!

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That furnace is 80k btu on low, so can likely change the motor if you want and disable high heat entirely and have enough heat in that home. 115k is too big, normally you would be in the 80-100 max btu range for that home depending on ceiling heights how tight it is it, window area, etc.

The key if you replace the motor/module is to use the amana part number to find the part so it has the right programming, not the generic number.

Thanks man, that model really helps, now i know for sure what i am looking for.

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
Verify with the seller it's compatible with your furnace model before ordering - give them furnace model number.
Sellers don't accept returns on opened electrical parts.

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

i owe you a gift card for all your help

·
Registered
hvac tile, potlights
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if anyone has a recommendation about a Canadian website or a retailer in the GTA that offers one at a decent price point i wouls really appreciate it.

im getting alot of US reatilers from the web

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
if anyone has a recommendation about a Canadian website or a retailer in the GTA that offers one at a decent price point i wouls really appreciate it.

im getting alot of US reatilers from the web
It's very hard to get non-generic hvac parts in canada without being licensed.
You may have to import from the us and absorb the shipping costs.

You may be able to use an evergreen vs with interface which is generic, but requires manual adjustments to get airflow right when replacing an older variable speed like yours as it doesn't have the programming.
It's more complicated.

The price would still be pretty high and finding from a canadian seller would still be a challenge.

You can try calling furnacemotors.ca to see if they can order a specific motor for you.

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts