DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there - We are updating our bathroom, which we think is 1968 original but we don't really know. (No, no asbestos.) We spent a few hours with my husband chipping away tile at one end of the tub and me the other. We're prepared to take this down to the studs and start over again, but we're wondering what material we're dealing with, exactly. Should we just hammer through it and pick up the pieces? Can we attempt to remove the 3rd section of tile/wall all at once (i.e., without spending house chipping away at the tile)? I've attached some bathroom photos that hopefully give a better sense of what we're dealing with, but it's not that easy to get enough granularity in the photos. Thoughts/suggestions welcome!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hey there - We are updating our bathroom, which we think is 1968 original but we don't really know. (No, no asbestos.) We spent a few hours with my husband chipping away tile at one end of the tub and me the other. We're prepared to take this down to the studs and start over again, but we're wondering what material we're dealing with, exactly. Should we just hammer through it and pick up the pieces? Can we attempt to remove the 3rd section of tile/wall all at once (i.e., without spending house chipping away at the tile)? I've attached some bathroom photos that hopefully give a better sense of what we're dealing with, but it's not that easy to get enough granularity in the photos. Thoughts/suggestions welcome!!

"A lot of people will go in and chip every tile off the wall (don’t laugh, they do it…), then remove the drywall (or what’s left of it) to get down to the studs in order to build the new stuff. You don’t need to do that. It’s time-consuming, messy and will give you a fairly crappy attitude about the project right from the get-go."

Read more here:

http://floorelf.com/how-to-remove-tiled-shower-walls#more-3408

·
Professional
93 Posts
Make sure you test for lead paint. Most houses built before 1978 have lead paint and there a re a few minimal steps to take to mitigate for your own health.

As far as removal...buy a drywall zip, make a straight line centered on studs where new backer board will end and buzz away. Remove as large a sheet at a time as possible. Good luck with your project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.