DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new fridge with an ice maker and a water dispenser. I live in a split level and for whatever reason the previous owner ran the old water lines through the floor and out to my garage rather then just tap into the sink in the kitchen.

So about a year and a half ago I remodeled the downstairs of my split level and replaced the cooper tubing I had with 1/4 inch plastic tubing sold at the local Home Depot. At the time I just shut off the existing valve in my garage and just broke off the cooper tubing.

So thousands of dollars after the remodel I know cann't get a plumber to hook up the line because I am being told the plastic tubing isn't code. So I need to figure out how to hook the plastic tubing up to the valve I have or replace the valve I have to hook up the plastic tubing.

The current valve is sweated to the line so I don't think I will be able to use the existing valve. Please help!

·
Plumbing Contractor
398 Posts
If it is a 1/4" compression fitting on the valve your 1/4" plastic tubing will hook right up to it. All you need is a 1/4" plastic ferrule and a 1/4" compression nut. Slide the nut on the tubing then slide the ferrule on then turn the nut onto the valve. If it isnt 1/4" compression at the valve then you're going to need to post a picture so we can see what you have going on there. All that being said, I wouldve kept the copper. I hate plastic icemaker tubing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's the picture.

I know it has been awhile and but here is the picture any suggestions will help a great deal. Forgive me but for whatever reason the picture is rotated. The incoming line runs west to east.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
JDC, are you suggesting using plastic tubing with only a ferrule and no insert? I thought this was not to code. I have seen many plastic tubes for ice makers where the ferrule actually cut through one side of the tubing when overtightened creating a leak. That's why a lot of the kits for plastic tubing come with the insert for the plastic tube, to prevent this from happening. I do agree with you that I would not recommend the plastic tubing, I also prefer copper tubing. So-dbowman1229, why would you not want to run copper tubing back to the icemaker as this is what was there previously, and would be safer? IF you can run the plastic, you can run the copper. Thanks, David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Reason for not running copper.

Thurman, the reason for not running the copper tubing is because it is ran through the ceiling of my downstairs family room. When I first remodeled I didn't have the ice maker but ran the plastic tubing (which was recommended by home depot) planning on having one in the future. It would cost hundreds of dollars and many hours to rip out the drywall that has been put in place covering up the plastic tubing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts