DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year my paint peels off the exterior foundation blocks, every year I scrape it and repaint it with a latex. The blocks were coated about 30 years ago with something. I don't know if it was Thoroseal or a skim coat. Anyhow, most of it has turned to a sand texture and the paint has nothing to stick to over the harsh winter.

So far I have spent 10 hours with a welders hammer chipping away and then using an industrial grinder with a wire wheel to clean up the sandy stuff. I don't even have the front of the house finished. It is very splotchy, with some areas coming clean down to the block, and others where I can't chisel everything away.

Any ideas on the correct tool to use, or what to coat the foundation with, or what is the best way to tackle this project?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
the usual suspects are moisture & its cousin, water :yes: when you post ' Anyhow, most of it has turned to a sand texture ' what does that mean - the coating OR the blocks ?

let me also be the 1st to welcome you to this august forum & add ' WHERE TF ARE YOU ? ? ? ' :eek: ( location, remember ? if a big help to responders ! :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
eastern ,pa ? :whistling2: thoroseal's generally used by pro's as engineers, contractors, specifiers, etc are more familiar w/it than the avg h/o-diy'er,,, bet what you have is a parge coat &, perhaps, cinder blocks but that's only a wag on the block,,, IF the coating's solid in parts, you might have to mechanically attach expanded wire mesh then another coat - this time use a polymer-modified vertical grade cementitious mtl,,, doubt you'll find it at the apron/vest stores so look for a pro const supply house,,, then you can apply t-seal tint'd to the color you want - but 1st check for wtr & moisture :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts