DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Rachio Wifi Gen 2 Controller.
From what I can tell wifi and all is working. Trying resetting networks etc.

Have 6 zones at a residential.

When manual zone is turned on, getting 28V at EACH ZONE.
So when Zone 1 is on manual on, it's getting 28V, but so are all the rest of the zone wires.

QUESTION: SHOULDN'T THIS BE 28V at EACH ZONE ONLY WHEN THAT ZONE IS ON?

When everything is off at the controller but water is ON, water comes out of one sprinkler zone.

It does not turn off regardless of when controller is On Off or on manual or wifi zone is on.

I did replace the solenoid at the master valve box to start.

I've watched as many youtube videos as i CAN STOMACH.

Please I'm begging any of you help!!

I am not getting any OHM ratings at the controller when one probe is on common and any of the other zones either when multimeter is on OHms.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks.

I'm putting one end on Common Wire at the Sprinkler Controller and the other at the other zone wires (which are connected to the controller)

My skill level 1-10 is maybe half so feel free to tell me the basics and assume I'm a total moron or 2nd grader which I am haha!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It sounds like your controller is fried. Have you unplugged / plugged it back in?

When manual zone is turned on, getting 28V at EACH ZONE.
So when Zone 1 is on manual on, it's getting 28V, but so are all the rest of the zone wires.
1) In this situation does water run from all zones at the same time?

When everything is off at the controller but water is ON, water comes out of one sprinkler zone.
With the controller off, do you what voltage are you getting from each zone at the controller terminals.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like your controller is fried. Have you unplugged / plugged it back in?

1) In this situation does water run from all zones at the same time?

With the controller off, do you what voltage are you getting from each zone at the controller terminals.
Hi THANKS for trhe reply!
I have unplugged and plugged it in. It's a Rachio Wifi Generation 2 controller only about 3 years old. I did all the On/off and Wifi forget and repair info and troubleshot with Rachio and they determined it's working fine and sending the signals to the valve box properly (not sure if i trust them though)

Water never comes out of any of the zones except one.

When no manual or wifi zones are activated it has 0.6 Volts at each zone wire at the terminal. When manual zones or wifi zones are activated, ALL of the zone wires at the terminal have 28 Volts.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
So all the zones are getting 28V but no water is coming out ?

Could be that the transformer does not have enough power to shift all 6 solenoids, so no solenoids actually turn on. But then I would have expected some voltage drop.

So if you leave only the common connected to the controller terminal strip, you can turn on one zone at a time by connecting that wire to any position on the controller terminal strip ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So all the zones are getting 28V but no water is coming out ?

Could be that the transformer does not have enough power to shift all 6 solenoids, so no solenoids actually turn on. But then I would have expected some voltage drop.

So if you leave only the common connected to the controller terminal strip, you can turn on one zone at a time by connecting that wire to any position on the controller terminal strip ?
Thanks! So regardless of which zone is picked manually or wifi, ALL zones have 28V and no water.

When a zone is not selected, each zone has 0.6V at all zones.

When water is pressurized regardless of what zone is on or off, water comes out of one zone no matter what.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Thanks! So regardless of which zone is picked manually or wifi, ALL zones have 28V and no water.

When a zone is not selected, each zone has 0.6V at all zones.

When water is pressurized regardless of what zone is on or off, water comes out of one zone no matter what.
If you unplug the controller and water continues to come out of the zone, that zone valve is bad or has been manually turned on at the valve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you unplug the controller and water continues to come out of the zone, that zone valve is bad or has been manually turned on at the valve.
Ok thanks you've helped me eliminate one part of it. That valve was partly open manually. It's closed now.

So now when pressurized no water comes out anywhere.

But still when manual or wifi switches are on all the same remain...no water and 28V at all zones when it "thinks" it's on.

Is it supposed to be 28V on all zones or only the zone that is switched on with the controller? THanks

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
There should be voltage on the active zone only. Try what SPS-1 suggested. Disconnect all of the zone wires and see if one zone will work. If it does, test the same wire on each zone on the controller. While the zone wires are disconnected and the controller set to manually run a zone, see if there’s voltage from each zone wire to common. This will check for a short or cross connection.

Is this a new problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.