DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I started my deck project last weekend and I found out that my house (built one year ago) doesn't have a rim joist as I was expected...

I was going to attach my ledgerboard after installing a resisto water and ice membrane, but the lag screw went in the emptyness of my house after going through the tyvek, the membrane and the foam...

I drill a few pilot hole to make sure and I didn't find any studs nor rim joist.
I can't believe my contractor and I didn't plan this while building the house.

For your information, the floor I beams are not sitting on this side.
I assume he probably framed this part with studs except maybe below the patio door (if i'm looking at photos of my house while in construction).

So what now?
How am I supposed to attache the ledger to the house?
See my photos attached with my 2 questions.

Question 1: Are the X marks are studs in your opinion (it was there when I removed the sidings).

Question 2: If this part is only a framed box, is it going to weaken the structure if I attached my ledger board there?

Have you ever dealt with something like this?
Looking forward to hear from you.

Attachments

·
retired framer
39,003 Posts

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
I 100% agree on making it free standing!
That would eliminate any chance of moisture damage to the home.
No way should the deck be as close to that threshold as your showing in that picture!
That's a sure way to have water getting into the home.
There's been hundreds of post on this and any DIY site showing all the damage that can be done to homes just from that one Building 101 mistake of having it to close to the threshold.

Reactions: Mike Milam

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Standard around where I am the marks like that with an x on one side indicate a stud....or other solid framing member.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts