DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up a basement, and could use some advice with the lighting.The room is approximately 11ft x 19ft, and the ceilings are about 7 feet high. I have access to all the joists (about 14.5 inches between them), and can see all the ductwork and such, so planned to put in recessed lights. I'd like to have even lighting throughout with no specific focal point to worry about.

Here's the layout I have to work with, as well as the best plan I could come up with.

The ductwork and other obstructions where I can't place a can are in gray. The box in the bottom corner is a bar that won't need recessed lighting above it. The rows with 3 cans are spaced so the center of the lights are about 33 inches from the wall and each other. The rows with 2 cans are spaced so the lights are about 44 inches from the wall and each other. It seems like a lot of lights, but it was about the best I could come up with working around the obstructions. I do plan to use a dimmer as well, going off the idea that it's better to overlight and dim rather than underlight.

Hoping someone might suggest a better layout, or at least let me know I've got the right idea?

Attachments

·
Master Electrician
4,605 Posts
Do not put all of them on one dimmer. I might consider moving the outer most cans a little more toward the walls. All in all not too bad of a lay out.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
BR30? Or equal LED?

General well Illuminated or task lighting?

For general and BR30 it looks like too many cans to me. I only did 10 in a much larger space in the large part of my basement, not all on the same switch.

I used a site on line that did the placement for me to double check my opinion. I just checked my bookmarks and did not find it but I know it is out there. It lets you pick the desired lighting level for the space and adjusts the can count and bulb size to suit your needs.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'd like to have even lighting throughout with no specific focal point to worry about.
In which case you should the largest "cans" possible. Do NOT use small (2 inch) cans.
However, have you considered using recessed flat panel LEDs?
The rows with 3 cans are spaced so the center of the lights are about 33 inches from the wall and each other. The rows with 2 cans are spaced so the lights are about 44 inches from the wall and each other. It seems like a lot of lights, but it was about the best I could come up with working around the obstructions. I do plan to use a dimmer as well, going off the idea that it's better to overlight and dim rather than underlight.
Do not put all of them on one dimmer. I might consider moving the outer most cans a little more toward the walls.
If you do use large recessed LEDs remember that the the light will overlap from adjacent lights but there is no overlap at the walls.
When positioning the rows of 3 lights you might consider spacings of (say) 26, 40, 40 and 26 inches.
For general and BR30 it looks like too many cans to me.
Agreed
I used a site on line that did the placement for me to double check my opinion. I just checked my bookmarks and did not find it but I know it is out there. It lets you pick the desired lighting level for the space and adjusts the can count and bulb size to suit your needs.
Perhaps this is the site in question.
http://recessedlighting.com/recessed-lighting-placement/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions from you all, I was planning to use 6 inch cans with LED lights. The cans recommend 65W BR30, 75W PAR30, 75W PAR30L, 90W PAR38, 90W BR40, or100W R40. Any suggestions?

I'd read that the spacing between cans should be about equal to half the ceiling height, so I was trying to keep them no more than 3.5 feet from each other. For those saying it's too many cans, do you have any suggestions on how how many cans and how to lay it out?

·
Electrician
1,390 Posts
Why not use this style of light and then you don't have to worry about joist or ducts in the way. Light is only 1/2" think so can go where ever you need.

http://www.lithonia.com/commercial/wf6+downlight.html#.WpqiLejwaM9

Then use the above calculator for your spaces. You want to equal space your lighting not your lights.

If your putting 3 lights in a 120" area you would want

wall-20"-Light-40"-Light-40"-Light-20"

This way each light is covering 40" of space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts