DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doors closes fine, but there is about a half inch of reveal on the knob side at the top of the door. I hung it on the hinge side right against the stud, then I Shimmed the knob side. Obviously I can't keep it this way. The door fell, it may be off a little? What should I do, any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Did you check the floor for level before you started? If it's out of level you will need to cut one leg of the jamb to make it work.

If you know how to post a picture that would help.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The doors closes fine, but there is about a half inch of reveal on the knob side at the top of the door. I hung it on the hinge side right against the stud, then I Shimmed the knob side. Obviously I can't keep it this way. The door fell, it may be off a little? What should I do, any suggestions? Thanks.
How does a door fall that is attached to the frame with 6 screws?
You hang a door, plumb from the hinge side, centered in the rough opening. If you didn't do that, remove the door and rehang it.
There's a learning curve for doors you climb, only by installing them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The door had fallen when i first got it. It just sat in the door way for a while....I thought I plumbed it, it seem good, but I must have done something wrong...I would love to post a picture....Would you want the top of the jamb level or worry more about the top of the door to be level? Don't know if that makes sense...Anyways thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, what is the best way to fix it if its not plumb. I probably need to take down the whole door and start over, correct? What is the best way to remove the nails, just cut them?​

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nails? I keep thinking you nailed the hinges in place but that can't be what your talking about.

If you have found that your frame is not plumb and you want to put some shims in there, I would just pry the frame apart a little and bang in some shims.

Doors are a PIA in my book. I have hung several and only one went real smoothly. That was the one where I painstakingly made sure everything was plumb, level and square. Which is hard because my hose is 94 years old.

Try to pull a nail out of a 94yo douglas-fir true 2x4 some time :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah just take a sawzall and cut the nails

first make sure the door is centered and is level. If it is on a finish floor then you will have to cut one jamb accordingly to bring it to level. Once this is done then plumb/shim/ fasten the hinge side, make sure it's plumb.

Once this is done what I find is simple is to shim the latch side to a nice reveal when you close the door, fasten. when the reveal is nice and even along the door, say an eighth or lighter.

I find it easiest (when working on my own) to take the door off the frame when first putting it in. level the frame, plumb and fasten the hinge side, put the door back on the frame and finish up with the latch side, anyways for me this is the most efficient method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts