DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm looking to mount a bike rack onto a brick wall in my apartment. I visited a local hardware store and Home Depot. Both, unfortunately, weren't able to help me. I have little to no expertise in this area so I'm reaching out for some help.

I've researched a bit and found that I'll need a hammer drill with a masonry bit to drill through the brick and some sort of anchor so the rack doesn't slip out of the wall. I purchased the rack off of Amazon and it only came with a screw capable of being drilled into a stud. I'm unsure of what anchor/screw to purchase that would fit attach the rack to the wall.

If there is any additional information I can provide, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Naildriver
10,613 Posts
Living in an apartment leaves you with minimal choices. Drilling into a brick wall is not one of those choices. Contact your landlord and have them send a handyman up to do the work. Less liability on your part that way. You drill into a wall, cause a water pipe to break, electrical lines to short out, gas line to burst.........you get the picture.

IF you were to get the express written permission from the landlord to do the work yourself, the brick themselves won't hold your weight. You need to know what is behind them so your fastener can extend into that substrate to hold. Brick, generally, are veneer and will break out. Of course you can post a picture of the wall for us to see.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Research: Powers Fasteners and look for Zamac Nailin it is a drive pin anchor.
Most big box stores have them and most hardware stores.Don't use the plastic ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts