DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what my next best option is to fixing the problem I created. An explanation on what I did. First, I put down 1/4" cork, then stapled down radiant heat mat, and then poured self leveling concrete over it. The problem I created was that I saw a few spots were the radiant heat mat was showing through the newly poured concrete and I added more of it to this area. Well, now I have a "bump" in the middle of the bathroom floor--maybe a 1/4" higher than the other parts of the bathroom:furious:. I can think of 2 options:

1. Add more self leveling concrete to the lower areas and I've already painted/marked these areas...you should see it the picture.

2. Try and grind down the bump

What should I do? What would work better? If someone thinks grinding it down any recommendations on a "grinder".

***Oh yeah, one more problem I have to put tile on top of this concrete floor. So now I'm concerned with how high this floor will turn out. I do plan on using real thick carpet joining the tile...but I don't want a significant step upwards.

Thoughts???

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I see only one sane choice---more self leveling compound---and this time be careful-----

Grinding using a diamond cup grinder would make quick
work of the soft self leveling compound----but one slip and you ruin the heating coil---way to risky for my taste-----

I suggest a wood or marble transition at the door---a raw tile edge is easy to damage--the transition strip will disguise any height difference.

·
JOATMON
17,231 Posts
either what mike advis'd OR build-up w/tile thin set,,, self-leveling compound is tricky stuff despite the directions on the pkg :furious: we usually use squeegee + magic trowels
Where can I get some of those 'magic trowels'?

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
guessing any wallboard supply house / distributor,,, far's i know, that's where they were 1st used,,, some sher-wms stores carry them,,, we get 'em from our eliteCrete dec conc supplier,,, we use 18" & 24" depending on the job mtl

·
Registered
647 Posts
Doesn't self level cement "sand" down easier than regular cement? I would get a rasp and try and shave the hump down, CAREFUL to not nick the wire. That is what I did with my deck build mortar.

I would try this first before i spent more $$$ on SLC.

B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.