DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought an old building and I wish to renovate it so that it can be used for commercial offices. I am in the process of locating and hiring a contractor for the overall renovation work. Any suggestions where can I find a reputable contractors? Thanks in advance.

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
lead services are a poor choice in my opinion, since only new contractors and poor ones (which is why they need to pay for leads) will be listed. Check with other building owners that may have had similar work done to find who they would recommend. Check with supply houses and the building department.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re:

How big is the building and where is it? I can’t really recommend anyone if I don’t know what type of project your going to undertake or where, but I would recommend going to http://www.jobtrio.com/ the site is a median that helps consumers find contractors, there are thousands of contractors listed on the site so you should be able to find the right contractor for your specific project.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I agree with Bob, check local contractor associations, lumberyards, other building owners, coworkers etc. Referrals from thses places are much better than cold calling or yellow pages.

·
Tired, Cold, and Damp
3,089 Posts
geordge said:
I have bought an old building and I wish to renovate it so that it can be used for commercial offices. I am in the process of locating and hiring a contractor for the overall renovation work. Any suggestions where can I find a reputable contractors? Thanks in advance.
Ah...an entrepreneur!
Good news then, the best place to find what you are looking for is from other entrepreneurs like yourself

So the good news is you probably already have an LLC or other business type structure in place
If you don't already belong to a Business Owners Association of some sort, join some!
I can strongly recommend your local C of C as an excellent place of either finding what you are looking for (in an actual member), or networking with many who also have your specific needs that can recommend a contractor

Referrals are the way to go
The requirements of "commercial" reno are very different from homeowner reno, so you need commercial recommendations

*Not that some don't do both well, but if Aunt Martha's referral of DoGood Drywallers (she had her basement done two years ago) only does residential, they wouldn't be my first choice even if they 'make an exception' for my commercial office reno
Depending upon what's needed and your local regs, the paperwork alone for commercial (nevermind logistics, specs, and other regs...commercial specific needs...and pricing!) might be outside of their knowledge

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
And most residential contractors cannot afford to wait for the typical 90 day turnaround on their dollars. But as posted a residential drywaller may be scratching his head with the metal studs. Also post a open bid in the papers and require a bid bond. That will eliminate the flakes real fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.