DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an old house in Minnesota that came with an old garage. My house was built in the 1890s and I suspect that the shed is of the same vintage.

The shed is in really poor condition, but I would prefer to save it if I can, and if I were to tear it down and rebuild my city would force me to move it back at least 20 feet from the alley way it currently is right next too.

It has a galvanized corrugated roof, dirt floor, where the floor has rotted out and a second floor, but at least three of the joists have also rotted there too, and the sill plate is also rotted out in a couple of places.

I am hoping to eventually make the shed into a living space, but I first need to stabilize the structure. What should I do first and is it even worth my time and money to save the structure? Also I have a very limited budget so I will be doing all the work myself.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Attachments

· JUSTA MEMBER
20,339 Posts
Most of that damage was caused by the leaking corrugated steel, So tear it off replace it all with a better kind of roofing.

As for it being in an alley: A drunk driver lost will not care about that and not know it is a dead end until they ram your bedroom at 55 MPH. :surprise:

ED

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of that damage was caused by the leaking corrugated steel, So tear it off replace it all with a better kind of roofing.
You really think so? The holes are mainly from old nail holes are probably from the wind pulling the sheets loose.
As for it being in an alley: A drunk driver lost will not care about that and not know it is a dead end until they ram your bedroom at 55 MPH. :surprise:
The alley way itself opens onto a quite side street, with a 20 mph speed limit, and shed has been there well over a hundred years without incident, so I am not all that concerned about drunk drivers.

· Registered
516 Posts
You really think so? The holes are mainly from old nail holes are probably from the wind pulling the sheets loose.

The alley way itself opens onto a quite side street, with a 20 mph speed limit, and shed has been there well over a hundred years without incident, so I am not all that concerned about drunk drivers.
regardless of speed limits and what you want to do with the shed, for someone to live in it you will need a certificate of occupancy from the local authority. with that said...

you stated you dont want to spend a lot of money. I can tell you now that it will take a sizable chunk of money to get this to occupancy conditions but that is if the city or local authority will even allow it, which is doubtful.

before you do anything you need to take a trip to the zoning and planning office and see if you are even allowed to have a second livable structure on the property. then if you are, you will need to pull permits which will require a plan of what you intend to do to be submitted for approval.

· Registered
9,063 Posts
As a shed, you can reinforce, add (next to it or from outside), replace framing. As a living space, it is not worth the cost - first thing you need is some separation from ground and whether you need permit or not, there is more to worry about than useful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.