DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Photo #1, 2 This is the inside of our front door. The miniblinds are 84" long, though they only drop about 72 inches to the bottom of the window.

Photo #3 The problem is when the door is opened at a normal speed or fast, the blinds swing out to the right, and then swing back and end up over the handle,

If you move the door slowly, the blinds don't swing out so much, and the blinds stay inside the door handle, where they belong.

So I want to find a way to keep the blinds inside the handle. Not sure if it should be something like a mini-shelf that the bottom of the blinds can rest in. Or something along the sides to keep it from swaying? Or some kind of bracket? Or what else?

The blinds are in the down position most of the year, as the door faces south. Not good in the hot summer in Arizona. But we move them up and down in the cool winter.

This is a foam-core steel door, so I'd rather not do a lot of trial and error and not need to drill too many holes in it that might be hard to patch at some point in the future.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,134 Posts
I think that a simple curtain rod attached midway down the door would keep the blinds from flappin out.

Stick it on with a peel and stick picture hanger tape, no screw holes needed, and when you are tired of the rod, the tape cleans off leaving no trace of it's use.

You will need to use a shallow rod that allows the blind to raise / lower, but still close enough to stop the flappin.

ED

·
Knows Enough to be Danger
678 Posts
You can get hold down brackets that go on the bottom to stop the swinging. But I don't think that's a good option if you want to actually raise the blinds.

What if you got some sort of angle iron (or plastic) and put a couple 1" long pieces along the vertical sides? Maybe every 12" or 18"? Those could be double sided taped as well?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Hold down brackets at the bottom of the blind is the preferred solution. Cheap, effective and a PITA to use. The older metal hold downs were far easier to use that the current plastic ones with pins. The push in style is better than the single hole type.

At one time someone made a U shaped channel that could be added and paint to match the door.

The mini blind between two layers of glass or the aftermarket product that adds a 3rd layer is by fare the best.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
The basic problem you have, is that the blinds and the knob-lever are occupying the same space.

I think you would need to change to a round door knob. Rotating the lever 180 degrees, as suggested would be easy --- just that you have to check if lifting the lever instead of pushing on it feels natural --- probably something you would get used to.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Magnets and glue. Put some semi-strong magnets on the bottom bar of the blinds and on the door.
Ding! Ding! Ding!, we have the winner! You rock, Rockstar.

I had a small button rare-earth magnet just wasting its power on the side of the refrigerator. Stuck it to the bottom of the blinds, which is metallic, and to the door. Simple, clean, hidden, removable: problem solved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.