DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing our water heater with a new one, and am having trouble figuring out how to make this configuration legal mainly with the T&P drain line. the current configuration has the T&P going up a little with a flexible copper line to line that connects to a vent stack i believe. The AC condensation pump also pumps to this line, and I am wondering how to make this legal.
I was considering getting a drain pan under it, and running the T&p straight down to it, but I am still left with the AC line and drain pan needing to drain somewhere. There is a bathroom sink behind the wall, and a tub not far from that on the same wall as the stack. here is a little diagram of the setup.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Need more info what is the type of house single, slab on grade, basement, where is the water heater located ?

PS don't run the T/P valve drain to the condensate pump unit or to a sink or tub, if that thing ever opens when someone is in the tub or using the sink it will fry them and it will also melt the condensate unit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the unit is located centrally in the home single story, it is a concrete slab foundation, and there is no basement or floor drains unfortunately.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
You also do not want to run the T&P drain UPHILL, water will sit in the pipe against the spring and seat mechanism and ROT IT OUT. Then it will really go off.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Just install the new water heater on a drain pan and pipe the T/P valve down to the pan with a couple inches off the bottom of the pan. Don't worry about piping anywhere.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd drain the pan using a flexible hose to a floor drain.
I know you said you don't have one, but for a house on slab, I'd challenge and say you just haven't found it.

How old is the house?
That might change my answer.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I don't know the code where you are so just wait until someone with knowledge of the code gets back to you , they will just wait.

I have seen hundreds of water heaters just piped to a couple inches above the floor with no drains. Not saying that's the way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The pan is not required to be piped to a drain. But does need to discharge to an obvious location where it wont cause any damage. can you pipe it to the garage or just out the wall to fall on grade?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd drain the pan using a flexible hose to a floor drain.
I know you said you don't have one, but for a house on slab, I'd challenge and say you just haven't found it.

How old is the house?
That might change my answer.
1973 and in this area especially at that era since it is west texas there is no floor drain. no garage near, and it is possible to drain outside, but i would have to go through several studs and brick. Is there another solution?

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Since you cannot conveniently pipe to the exterior, can you cut into the sink drain below the sink inlet, install a p trap facing the heater and pipe the T&P and AC condensate to that? The condensate might keep the trap primed. You would also eliminate the uphill T&P connection. However, this solution does not address the pan. Is it required or something you want? Is this a gas heater?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I don't like piping it direct I like to see if the T/P valve is leaking or popping so I can correct the problem when I see water in the pan or on the floor if you pipe it direct you could be having a problem for a long time and never notice it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is a gas heater, and I don't care if it doesn't need to be plumbed, but I don't know the code. I live in lubbock and we use the 2006 International

1 - 14 of 14 Posts