DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the hot, cold and diverter valves and replaced all the seats and I still have water leaking. I turn the handles as tightly as possible and it doesn't help. Should I have used pipe thread on the seats? Or some pipe dope? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, the outside shut off valve handle broke from sun exposure (Florida). Is that a difficult fix? Thanks for your input.

·
Custom Cabinet Maker
1,097 Posts
USP45; I would tend to agree with you cept in his original post he said he replaced them. I am wondering it the washerseat section of the stems could be bad, either way I have a bad habit :}:} when a faucet get like that I toss it unless it is a priceless antique :}:}:}, then I toss it in a box on a shelf LOL

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
It's leaking from the faucets.
Some faucets have replaceable seats! If you look in see a hex shaped hole or other method of engaging the seat, such as slots, they can be replaced. Years ago, before replaceable seats came along, a tool that looked like a router bit was used to resurface the seat! I doubt that these are available anymore!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I still say the seat is scored from dirt or something. Another problem could be if the faucets are a washerless type and someone tried to shut it off tight, they could had broke the stop and the valve could be going to the off position too far and partly opening back up. I have seen this many times. Try turning the handle slightly one way or the other and see if it stops. If it does, then yes, someone broke the stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.