DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Azeleas. LOVE THEM. They bloom on old growth, some varieties will bloom in spring and fall. Evergreen. Like slightly acidic soil. If you want to keep them compact they'll need pruning after the bloom.

And, just for me, don't prune them into a box-shape or cylinder, their natural shape is so pleasing.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
One last thing. I'm allergic to the oils in their foliage. It gives me a very itchy rash - so I use long pants and shirts when working around them. I have 20 on my property.

Also, they will thrive in sun and can tolerate and bloom in mixed shade. They are an understory plant similar to rhododendrons, but are more heat tolerant.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question, do these bloom in that bright red flower? My whole neighborhood has them them and they look so nice. I thought they might have been burning bush's, but to my understanding they bloom closer to fall.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Breakthecycle2 said:
Question, do these bloom in that bright red flower? My whole neighborhood has them them and they look so nice. I thought they might have been burning bush's, but to my understanding they bloom closer to fall.
It's hard to tell what color they'll be til they bloom out. Anywhere from the white you also have through all reds pinks and purples.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Do they require full sun or will they be ok in a partial sun/shade area?
Also, they will thrive in sun and can tolerate and bloom in mixed shade. They are an understory plant similar to rhododendrons, but are more heat tolerant.

They're a very no-fuss, no-muss shrub. Five of mine are transplants from my grandmother's yard - they are over 50 years old.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Azaleas and rhododendrons are acid loving plants.
Consequently, I save all my coffee grounds and tea in teabags and sprinkle it around them. They will love you for it. Also, if you have any coffee or tea left over in the pot, let it cool and pour this around your acid loving plants (geraniums also).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts