DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
soaker tub and backsplash, kitchen backsplash, Var fixes around the house.
368 Posts
Install an iWave-R in your HVAC and it will destroy odors in the home after remediating the problem.
Did you put your iwave on the return (intake) or supply side of your coils?

Beware of cleaning places that use heavy scents. When the scent wears off, and your sense of smell comes back... you will be very disappointed. A good shocker (ozone generator) and UV to help get rid of the ozone smell might help. You can get a shocker on Amazon, but BEWARE: These devices can make you very ill, damage your lungs, kill your pets or even you. You must vacate the area you are shocking... or even your whole home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My HVAC contractor installed the iWave-R on the intake side of the air handler. I'd like to point out that the iWave-R does not produce ozone at all, zero. The charged particles not only clean the HVAC system but also surfaces exposed to air flow within the house.
With that said, I do have a cat that has urinated outside of the litter box and that is a very objectionable odor. Fortunately, the litter box is on a washing machine tray which protects the floors. To get rid of the odor or accidents, I keep a spray bottle of 50:50 water and white vinegar solution and some paper towels. The vinegar displaces the urine odor and dissipates quickly.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,876 Posts
We had to deal with cat urine in a closet floor in our apartment building years ago. We used oil based Kilz, or perhaps the Zinseer primer listed above, can't remember which one, and it wiped it our completely and it has not returned.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,983 Posts
We had to deal with cat urine in a closet floor in our apartment building years ago. We used oil based Kilz, or perhaps the Zinseer primer listed above, can't remember which one, and it wiped it our completely and it has not returned.
My experience has been as Jomma.....at least as to flooring.

Pigmented shellac (made by several suppliers) is expensive but the very best odor killer. (pigmented has nothing to do with it...it just usually comes white pigmented)

We had our lab in her final days and she was incontinentnbut still comfortable. She slept her last 4 months beside our bed on the carpet.

When she went to sleep permently, we just ripped up the carpet, hit the wood subfloor for a few days with natures miracle, and shellacked it.

ABSOLUTLY NO hint of the urine after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
But, couldn't they just say you should have smelled it when you saw the house?
We did not find the smell until after the purchase when the new paint smell wore off. Not everyone gets their nose in every corner of every closet... I will next time though lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok folks!! Problem solved.... I completely took the lower 2 ft of drywall out of the closet, along with the insulation, carpet, padding,, base boards.. scrubbed the concrete with a wire brush attachment on a drill. I took Resolve in a large bucket and soaked towels and washcloths. Towel went on the concrete subfloor, washcloths on the 2×4. Let them soak for a couple hours.. let dry completely. Then used primer to seal the floor and 2×4, with the rest of the closet. Just reinstalled new insulation, drywall, baseboards, and carpet and guess what... no smell!! Thanks everyone for the help.... by the way VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA DOESNT DO ****! STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO USE THAT ****. Simple.. remove what you can, soak the remaining in enzymes and let dry then seal with shellac!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My HVAC contractor installed the iWave-R on the intake side of the air handler. I'd like to point out that the iWave-R does not produce ozone at all, zero. The charged particles not only clean the HVAC system but also surfaces exposed to air flow within the house.
With that said, I do have a cat that has urinated outside of the litter box and that is a very objectionable odor. Fortunately, the litter box is on a washing machine tray which protects the floors. To get rid of the odor or accidents, I keep a spray bottle of 50:50 water and white vinegar solution and some paper towels. The vinegar displaces the urine odor and dissipates quickly.
Yeah I dont buy the vinegar solution... that has never worked for me and definitely wasn't what I needed to fix this issue. It only amplified my problem, which turned me here for a solution.. removal and replace is the fastest and best way to get rid of cat piss.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Wavelengths in a blacklight cause phosphorous and proteins in the urine to glow, making it easier to spot old stains. Pet stains that weren't cleaned properly with an enzyme-based cleaner will show up under UV light as well.

Notice the words cleaned properly.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts