DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of you floor people have been so kind to answer my other posts. I hope some of you can help me with this new dilemma. After spending 2 solid weekends sanding an old oak floor, my son told my hubby & I that he really didn't like the floor because of it's wide variety of colors & grains. Also, he isn't really happy with the large cracks in the floor. I did a test in one closet using Bix Stain able Wood Filler. I skim coated an area about 1'x2'. I let it dry & then sanded the majority of the putty off. Then I applied a Minwax Cherry Stain. The sample turned out beautiful. I've read where some flooring contractors will skim coat a whole floor if it is damaged by gouges, cracks & large gaps in the wood. How hard would this be to do for the diy? Has anyone had any experience with this & if so, what was the outcome after a few years?
Thanks so much!

· Registered
135 Posts
I don't know if it's available to the homeowner anywhere, but I use a sandable floor filler made by woodwise. I trowel it over the entire floor & sand it off. Big cracks will probably need filled twice. It's color matched to wood species right out of the bucket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.