DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hired a guy to pour a 40 x 16 ft slab which he said was easy, but only showed up with one other guy. It started drying before they were even ½ ways done pouring and got away from them. Now I have this. :surprise:

Attachments

·
Retired
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start by going after the contractors who did the work but that's just me.
Well he is deeply sorry and embarrassed. I have not paid him for his time yet and he said he will fix it on himself, but I want to be sure he does it right. I don't have a lot of confidence in him right now. I feel bad for him because hes young and I don't think hes ever done a project this big before.

I'm upset with myself because when I originally started looking around, I specificity asked for a crew of 4 or 5. I've pored concrete in my younger days and we always had at least 5 guys.

I'm thinking about renting a concrete surface grinder, but not sure if another coat of concrete will stick

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
18" or 20" concrete grinder then overlay w/polymer-modified cements,,, easy enough but you'll need to add appropriate color pigment,,, we do this work all the time w/o problems

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well he is deeply sorry and embarrassed. I have not paid him for his time yet and he said he will fix it on himself, but I want to be sure he does it right. I don't have a lot of confidence in him right now. I feel bad for him because hes young and I don't think hes ever done a project this big before.

I'm upset with myself because when I originally started looking around, I specificity asked for a crew of 4 or 5. I've pored concrete in my younger days and we always had at least 5 guys.

I'm thinking about renting a concrete surface grinder, but not sure if another coat of concrete will stick

It sounds to me like you got a contractor with a conscience... I'm not an expert but I have used a a grinder like the one suggested already and hydraulic cement with good results. I'm not sure if that's the same product recommended by Johnny or not. If it were me I would probably ask other masonry contractors to bid on it and have them tell you how they'll fix it and giving it a sanity check here before deciding which way to go.

Hydraulic cement is easy to use but you have to work quick so you'll want to work in small sections at a time. The trick is to wet the surface in advance (24 hours) and keep it wet until you apply the product. This keeps the moisture in the cement from being absorbed into the concrete. The nice thing about hydraulic cement is that it cures fast and can be painted over. I've only used it in small areas and to fill cracks. using a cement grinder is proper prep before using the hydraulic cement.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
we are experts & do this work almost every day,,, hydraulic may have been successful for lb but its not the correct mtl,,, don't misunderstand - hyd's got its use but its never been considered permanent by anyone w/pro standing be it engineer, owner, or contractor

he correctly describes it as 'cement' - polymer-modifieds are 'cements' albeit w/different purposes,,, both avail in local apron/vest stores but, for diy'er newbies, cementall's more difficult than sak-quik/crete for o'lay work

read AND follow the directions,,, 1/2" mixing drill, paddle mixer, 7gal bucket, & squeegee,,, wet existing conc butg NO standing water,,, ck out u-tube too,,, will you f u ? yes, likely but, compared to replacement cost or hiring a pro, worth a shot, no ? remember, they address the lowest med school grad same as the top - 'doctor'

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I don’t want to be rude, but I find posts with abbreviations, shortened words, no capitals and run on sentences very hard to read and comprehend. I was not raised in the era of text message language, so I understand if it is me.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
not rude at all,,, understand age catches all of us if we live long ennuff ( enough )
from another post/bldg & constgruction - 'but it's a nbor-like preference. Since I border the nbor w the vines, I simply pull/cut/remove as needed so I keep them off my left sided fence and my back fence when they grow along the backside as well.

nbor-like preference = neighbor likes it
n-bor = neighbor

·
Registered
253 Posts
There's an old saying: Once a job is screwed up, anything done to make it look better just makes it worse.

If this is outside, in a commercial area, I would say you could try a DIY fix...maybe.

If you need something with a smooth/nice looking lasting surface, as stadry implied, this is a job that a professional, that is good at his/her trade, may be able to "clean up."

I see these "it looked easy on the video jobs" everyday. I share your sympathy for the guys who bit off more than they could chew. Been there!

Good luck on your choice.

·
Retired
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s been raining heavy and supposed to go till Friday night so he will not be back until Saturday. He came back Tuesday night with someone for advice and they are going to remove one corner and re-pour it. Then they are going to grind down and resurface the rest of it.

I have not paid him anything yet and I paid for the concrete directly. I feel really bad for the guy and I’ll try to help him as much as I can. They thought they could do it with just the 2 of them, but it just dried too fast.

The concrete delivery guy said the ground was too dry and tried to wet it with the water from his truck. I asked a number of times if they needed me to run a water hose out there and said they would be alright. I wish I would have ran water out there anyway or at least put my boots on and grabbed a shovel to help.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
' Once a job is screwed up, anything done to make it look better just makes it worse. ' hush your mouf,,, that's a major income stream for us :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
It’s been raining heavy and supposed to go till Friday night so he will not be back until Saturday. He came back Tuesday night with someone for advice and they are going to remove one corner and re-pour it. Then they are going to grind down and resurface the rest of it.

I have not paid him anything yet and I paid for the concrete directly. I feel really bad for the guy and I’ll try to help him as much as I can. They thought they could do it with just the 2 of them, but it just dried too fast.

The concrete delivery guy said the ground was too dry and tried to wet it with the water from his truck. I asked a number of times if they needed me to run a water hose out there and said they would be alright. I wish I would have ran water out there anyway or at least put my boots on and grabbed a shovel to help.
You're being more than nice IMO. The kido learns something outta this that'll make him a better "employee" down the line so I wouldn't be harsh on him or anything, but its still not your fault so don't beat yourself up over it. If you'd been at work or whatever, you wouldn't be thinking about the running them the hose thing, right? From the sound of it he'll figure it out and make it as right as he can, so all in all, it seems like a win-win in the end to me.

Reactions: JohnnyB60

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've cut some contractors some slack over the years if they showed remorse for poor quality work and were doing everything they could to correct a mistake. These guys seem to be doing that but at the end of the day it's your money and your job so it has to meet your standards. I might consider hiring someone with more experience with a reputation they can prove and invite the original crew to watch and learn.

I would pay them something no matter what the outcome is.

·
Retired
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only thing I wanted was a smooth service to roll around my tool boxes, creepers and workbenches. I didn’t care if it were level or even square. I didn’t want any large low spots to collect puddles of water although it wasn’t that important because I would be sweeping the floor anyway.

Everything I have is on wheels and I mean everything whether dolly’s or its own wheels. Some stuff is heavy with steel wheels and my biggest concern is that I don’t want the slim concrete surfacing to break or chip off.

Well I guess you get what you pay for. Everyone else wanted 3X what he wanted. I'm 70 and if it lasts until I'm gone then I guess I'll be happy

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,874 Posts
Johnny, I think you're on the right track. I'd tear the worst area out (where it meets the exisitng for sure) and grind the rest, if necessary. I've done overlays, but with steel wheel traffic, IMPO, it will never last the same as virgin uncoated concrete. Also, overlays require a lot of work and expertise. Generally speaking, if you're struggling to get 4-6" of concrete flat and acceptable, you're REALLY going to struggle with an 1/8" layer........

·
Registered
78 Posts
I share your sympathy for the guys who bit off more than they could chew.
I don't.

It could be argued that they outright lied. They said they could do something they couldn't, they wasted the OP's time, they took work away from someone who actually knows what they are doing, and now the OP has messed up concrete that he is (partially) fixing himself.

Like the OP, I too would pay them something if I find the final finished results good enough. Since "good enough" is not good but it's good enough.

If the final results aren't good enough, then the people who did it should be happy even if they aren't paid anything and aren't sued to remove the concrete since if it needs to be completely redone then what they have done is make the area worse than it was before.

·
Retired
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like the OP, I too would pay them something if I find the final finished results good enough. Since "good enough" is not good but it's good enough........
I remember a guy in CA firing a painter who nearly destroyed his house with paint so bad that it was in the rug and wood work. The unlicensed painter sued him for unpaid wages and got a $10K settlement under CAs labor laws. So I will definitely pay him

1 - 17 of 17 Posts