DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thanks to anyone that can assist. I just moved into a home and trying to set my welder up, however, It appears I have to do some electrical work and add an outlet for my welder. The plug on my welder is rated for 50amps. The service manual states it can run on a 30amp breaker, yet recommends a 50amp breaker. My homes main panel has a duel 60amp breaker that runs outside to a sub panel near my pavilion. I would like to build my workshop from this existing pavilion and add an outlet to run my welder near this sub panel. Any onsite on how I would accomplish this task would be much appreciated. Attached are photos of my main panel and sub panel. If you need any more information, I can happily provide that. Thank you

Attachments

·
Ret. Elec. Contractor
461 Posts
FYI, remember that you do not need a neutral, just 2 hots and a ground. #8 wire is fine, #6 even better.

He said "The service manual states it can run on a 30amp breaker"
He doesn't need #8 wire.

Wire sized to welders are based on the duty cycles of the welders.
The full load amps on the welder nameplate is reduced by a percentage of the total.

100% duty cycle would be 1.00
90 ------- 0.95
80 ------- 0.89
70 --------0.84
60 ------- 0.78
50 --------0.71
40 ------- 0.63
30 --------0.55
20 or less 0.45
He needs #10 at the most, #14 at the least

·
Ret. Elec. Contractor
461 Posts
Use minimum #8 copper if protected at 50 amp. If in conduit you can use #8 for the phases and #10 for the ground.
Motor, AC Equipment, and Welders don't use the same amperage calculations as general circuits. They modify them

2017 NEC
630.12 Overcurrent Protection
(B) For Conductors. Conductors that supply one or more welders shall be protected by an overcurrent device rated or set at not more than 200 percent of the conductor ampacity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.