DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've determined that I need to replace my hot water expansion tank as the current one is filled with water. I bought a replacement, turned off my water, drained the house, but when I went to take the old one off, I can't get it to budge. It looks like there is some green thread sealant compound on the fitting that the tank screws into. I didn't try a pipe wrench yet as I don't have one, but I was still able to put some good torque on it with other wrenches and it won't move. I didn't want to pull any harder as I'm afraid I'd break something else.

Is there some trick to get this off? Is this green stuff I see meant to break free? Or do I need to cut the whole tee fitting off and replace it that way?

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
use 2 wrenches so you don't break anything. One to hold the other to loosen. Also use some pb blaster or wd40 on the threads to help with the removal.

Post a picture so we can help you better.

Also remember that xpansion tank is full of water. so it will be very heavy. be careful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'll get some pictures. I suppose I can get it at least half empty (it's horizontally mounted) by shutting off the water and draining some of the water heater, but is there any trick to not get water everywhere when taking it off?

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
do as you did. Turn off wh. Shut off the incoming water to wh/house (depending on how it's plumbed), open a few hot water faucets to relieve the pressure. you could also drain a gallon or so from the wh drain.

No matter how you do it, there is still going to be some water in the lines when you remove the xpansion tank. but it shouldn't be much. As soon as you remove the tank turn it upright to prevent water coming out of it. have some rags/towels ready.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,201 Posts
Yeah I'll get some pictures. I suppose I can get it at least half empty (it's horizontally mounted) by shutting off the water and draining some of the water heater, but is there any trick to not get water everywhere when taking it off?
Ayuh,..... Put a bucket under it, 'n drill a hole in it,.....

Other than that, have the bucket, 'n some rags handy if you just unscrew it,....

As jmon noted above, use a wrench on the T fitting, 'n another on the tank,.....
Turn the tank, counter-clockwise,...
Longer wrenches give ya more torque,....

·
Registered
13,708 Posts
See attached for a picture showing the green stuff.
Consider a rental for obtaining two 14" or larger pipe wrenches. A one armed plumber is the only one that needs only one wrench. :biggrin2:

One wrench goes on the hex of the tank and if there isn't room for the other on the brass T hex, open the wrench far enough to put it on the brass T body opposite the brass hex as it can then just be used as leverage backup being across the T's body.

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
The green stuff you are referring to, to me, looks like some type of pipe dope used for the threads. Even if it's some sort of lock tite goop it will still eventually break free using some pb blaster.

Check your tools, or maybe borrow from a neighbor, two adjustable cresent wrenches should be able to do the job. The longer the handle the better. 12-14 inch. With that setup, definitely use 2 wrenches. Hope you get it replaced soon blue.

The T and the xpansion tank both have the 6 sided nut you can latch onto with the wrenches

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.