DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan on my A/C compressor unit seems to start and even spins up to a reasonable speed, although not quite the speed at which it ought to spin, but then 5 seconds later slows down to a very low speed where you can almost see the individual blades. The run capacitor was clearly blown (the top had mushroomed) so I replaced it. However, that did not solve the problem at all. In fact, the pattern I just described did not change at all.

Should I replace the start capacitor as well? (I'm kind of doubting it since I would guess that a faulty start capacitor would prevent it from starting in the first place.) What else should I try before I call an expert?

·
Administrator
42,280 Posts
The fan doesn't use a start capacitor. So it could be the fan motor.

·
Registered
494 Posts
How old is the unit ? Does it look like the original Motor ?..if so, it probably is a bad motor. Does it have 2 Brown wires going to the '2 prong' capacitor you replaced or does it have 1 Brown wire going to a '3-prong' Dual capacitor ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I Forgot about your 'Video'! That clicking is Not normal and may be the clue we need to pinpoint the problem! I think you have a Bad Defrost Board, so we need to 'Bench Test' your motor. With Power "Off"!.. Remove the black motor wire from the 'OFM' terminal on Defrost Board and we need to get it to '23' side of 'CH' Contactor(Yellow wire) to bypass Board & see if motor get's up to speed. "BE CAREFUL"!..hopefully it will reach & you can connect it to an empty Spade terminal there. Turn Power back on to unit and see if motor gets up to speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

Thanks again! I'm ready to tackle this, but can you give me just a little bit more guidance?

In the picture below, how do I determine which wire to disconnect, which one is the CH capacitor and which is the "23" terminal on it.

Thank you in advance!

Pavel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Thanks again! I'm ready to tackle this, but can you give me just a little bit more guidance?

In the picture below, how do I determine which wire to disconnect, which one is the CH capacitor and which is the "23" terminal on it.

Thank you in advance!

Pavel

·
Registered
494 Posts
CH Contactor is the one on the Left with Yellow wire connected at bottom to '23'(Per wiring diagram) Look for an empty spade connector there and see if the wire you removed from OFM on the Board will reach. Before you turn Power back on to Outside unit, Go to your thermostat and turn it to 'off' so we isolate this test to Just the Fan Motor(and avoid the Compressor coming on)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I almost got it!
1. Take the black wire (fat red arrow),
2. follow where the yellow wired goes (partial orange outline)
3. and try to connect the black wire to where the yellow wire is going (pale green arrow).

Correct?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
42,280 Posts
On the fan capacitor, in the pic it looks like both the brown and yellow wire are on the same terminal. Are they, they shouldn't be.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts