DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a small dog door a couple of years ago. I installed it as close as I could to the back door. It ended up being between the door frame and a stud that is 5 1/2 inches away. The small dog door fit perfectly between the 2. Now we have a bigger dog, I bought the next bigger door, but to install it in the same location I will have to cut the stud that is 5 1/2 inches from the door frame. What is best option here? I think framing the new dog door would be easier than trying to replace the Hardy Board that I cut for the original door.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Really should be opening up the wall from the inside and adding a header.
Easy enough to cut the siding with a 4-1/2" right angle grinder and a diamond blade.

Reactions: Hardway

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
No picture came up.
Would be interesting to see how you plan on trimming this out on the outside to keep water out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I think the picture will work now. As for water/weather-the door is under a covered patio. It has not been an issue for the smaller door. There are vinyl flaps on both sides of the opening. The opening is also 6 inches higher than the patio on the outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.