DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Licenced Electrician
1,330 Posts
Alright, sorry it took me so long. After messing with the ole' Multimeter, I checked the main hot and neutral to the fixture (not the tombstones) and it read about 120v AC (its analogue, so numbers are approx.)
then I check the tombstone contacts, zero. Then maybe the wires coming from them? one lead on half the fixture and another on the other half? I tried many different combinations here, all read zero. Now this could either be because of comically terrible wire nutting, OR the main power isn't getting to the tombstones. Let's assume it's the ladder; what would one do about this?
Hmmm. Try the hot tombstones (blue wire) to ground. You should get 120V. If you do, turn the switch off and measure continuity between the neutral tombstones and ground you should get a few ohms. All this depends on your supply wiring being proper.

Let us know what you measure.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,330 Posts
Hrm, the little bayonet parking lamps in my car have more than 8 ohms cold resistance. That doesn't mean it's OK to put 120V on them.
In the interest of science, I grabbed a tube (T8 Alto) and popped a cheater cord across the filament and plugged it in.

With a small flash of light the filament popped. To be honest, it tripped the breaker (bench plug dedicated) so I'm not sure I'd want to twist a tube in on an FPE breaker but the tube itself didn't explode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Alright, final results, I can confirm theres continuity on the tombstones, and that there is exacally 120-125 volts coming out of them. So my question is this: Since i originally put these bulbs in with a ballast in there too (not knowing they wasnt compatible with said ballast) and turned it on, lights came on, heard an audible BZZZZZZ then they died, should I get new bulbs on the base that I most likley fried the circuits? OR Do I need to replace the tombstones with Non-shunted? or get new bulbs AND non-shunted stones?

·
Licenced Electrician
1,330 Posts
Alright, final results, I can confirm theres continuity on the tombstones, and that there is exacally 120-125 volts coming out of them. So my question is this: Since i originally put these bulbs in with a ballast in there too (not knowing they wasnt compatible with said ballast) and turned it on, lights came on, heard an audible BZZZZZZ then they died, should I get new bulbs on the base that I most likley fried the circuits? OR Do I need to replace the tombstones with Non-shunted? or get new bulbs AND non-shunted stones?
And now we know the rest of the story.

You probably cooked the tubes. Leave the wiring as you have it and get new lamps. In the future, tell the whole story. Some people will get annoyed with you for wasting their time.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Since i originally put these bulbs in with a ballast in there too (not knowing they wasnt compatible with said ballast) and turned it on, lights came on, heard an audible BZZZZZZ then they died
I think I'm with joe on this one - if you knew you fried them, why did you spend all this time trying to diagnose the problem elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Well, "universal" LEDs are double-ended, made to work either in-ballast or direct-wire. So if OP had chosen a "universal" then that would have been a reasonable thing to do.

Even so I'd be a bit surprised if a direct-wire double-ended LED was killed by a ballast.

Unless the ballast was defective, which is what I suspect is the case.

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
If the ballast was left in the voltage to the pins expecting up to 277 could have been something like 600 volts. Not too hard too why the magic smoke came out.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
True, it was an instant-start ballast... those things play rough. They get "instant" by using high voltage to force an arc to strike when the electrodes haven't warmed up. Instead of preheating and using a more modest voltage.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts