DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Is it an issue for the rear hangers of the garage door to not be perpendicular/square?
Having concerns for safety using the garage door and potential future strain.

Seeking insight. TIA.

Thumbnails:
Wood Rectangle Beam Interior design Flooring
Fixture Wood Shade Beam Line
Wood Building Rectangle Shade Gas
Shade Wood Fixture Window Beam

Full size:
  • Right Side:
    Wood Rectangle Beam Interior design Flooring

Fixture Wood Shade Beam Line

• Left side:
    Wood Building Rectangle Shade Gas

Shade Wood Fixture Window Beam

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It doesn't need to be square or perpendicular to the track. Unless the lag bolts appear loose or the angle iron is twicing, I wouldn't worry about it. What makes you think, the hanger is not strong enough?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I check everything just in case some moron did not tighten bolts, put bolts in, or any of hundreds of other things people don't think is necessary these days. Isn't that why we are in here?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
It looks like the typical shoddy installation work done by contractors, certainly not pretty looking at all but nothing to be worried about either!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
It just seems like there may be something wrong. It looks like the joists are 2x4's on the flat, unless they are floor trusses. But even then, to me it looks like some of the angle irons are only fastened to one 2x and nothing but drywall anywhere else. Maybe There is something else I am not seeing.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
What is that flat black membrane above the 2x4s laying flat? I am sick like you are that they could be the bottom stringers from trusses but if that's the case I'm not sure what the black is.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
That was confusing. In the first photo of each set (left and right side) the drywall is taped with no screws visible, but the second shows no mud and visible screws. I guess that the OP didn’t tell us that the photos weren’t all taken at the same time…

It just seems like there may be something wrong. It looks like the joists are 2x4's on the flat, unless they are floor trusses. But even then, to me it looks like some of the angle irons are only fastened to one 2x and nothing but drywall anywhere else. Maybe There is something else I am not seeing.
What is that flat black membrane above the 2x4s laying flat? I am sick like you are that they could be the bottom stringers from trusses but if that's the case I'm not sure what the black is.
Those two photos facing the door are deceptive, but those “on the flat” 2x4s are in a dropped ceiling not where the hangar brackets are located. Check out the right side of the first photo to see that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts