DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· First Home N00b
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dovetailing off of this thread...
http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/septic-tank-vent-pipe-21618/

This project started off as burying a 6x6 project box that was used as a junction box for the septic pump. Originally it was mounted about 6" off the ground. Lawnmowers managed to beat it up to the point that it cracked both the 1" and 2" grey PVC conduit inlets and it was loose, flopping around, and ugly. I just finished this project a few minutes ago, I'll upload some pics. The broken pipe was dug up far enough to be cut clean, repaired, and the box now mounted flush with the rest of the ground so it can be accessed but hopefully no more mower damage.

This leaves me with wanting to hide other areas of the septic system. My 1.25 acres is an absolute nightmare to mow due to ten thousand obstacles, so eliminating a few would be a huge help. Unfortunately, I do not know much about septic systems, but here is what I do know about my house from investigating.

All drains lead to a single 4" pipe exiting the rear of the house. There are no vents in the roof. Just outside the house, there is what I believe to be a cleanout.

The 4" pipe then goes on a 45 degree bend to another cleanout. First in foreground, second in background.

Another 45 degree bend and it enters tank 1, which appears to be more solid than liquid waste. The black capped thing I believe is both a vent and a cleanout, then enters tank 2. To the right of tank 2 is where you can see I had to dig up the current project. Detailed pic on how far I had to go to repair the damage (2 wheelbarrels of dirt).

In this second tank is more liquid than solid, and a pump. I believe this pump sends it "uphill" to the leach field. To some degree I think this picture summarizes what I am working with.

So here come my billion questions.
1. Why can't I dig down the cleanouts, cut the pipes, and mount the cleanout covers flush to the ground surface (one less thing to have to push mow and weedwhack)? I found these flush mount covers, is there a special T-shaped tool out there for them?

2. Up on the hill, there are four capped pipes and what I believe to be a vent. From reading, the capped pipes are to assess whether or not the leach field is wet. They are loose caps that can be pulled off by hand. Why can I not dig these down to ground level and either re-cap them or thread-fitting them? So long as I have access, why should I have to have these above grade? Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with. That hill is nearly 12 feet high and so steep my riding mower can't go up it at points, let alone dodge 5 pipes sticking out.

3. To the absolute far right of that picture, you can see what I think is the leech field vent pipe. Shouldn't this be candy-cane shaped to prevent rain/snow from entering? Regardless, I tried to explore its purpose and about 12" down in the dirt it is broken off. When and if I discover its purpose, is there any way I can either hide it or mount it flush to the ground. If all it needs to do is let ambient air in and out, why wouldn't a simple one-way valve or grille suffice?

· First Home N00b
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here is the final picture of the buried project box/junction box. I don't know why this was such a hard concept in the first place.

I also converted the two cleanouts to flush-mount. For reference, these are the ones nearest the house plus before the first tank. I am still up in the air on what to do with the black-capped piece between the two tanks because I believe that is a vent, not simply a cleanout.

I advised the wife that while you still cannot directly drive the tractor tire across these pieces, there is no fear of the mower blades at our setting chewing them up (and avoiding many minutes of push mowing and weedwhacker).

Onto the big hill, last project of the day was to dig up that "vent" and see what I found. Apparently, it connects to nothing. I pulled it by hand out of the ground, about 2" was buried. I assumed it was broken since the edge was jagged, not clean cut. After digging down, this is all I could find.

Where that elbow is, literally the pipe sat right on top of it. Is it possible it was used as some sort of marker and is not actually a vent pipe, or should I continue digging deeper? While I have all this dug up, should some sort of vent be added?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.