DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Hampton Bay ceiling fan in my master bedroom, I have an issue and need to find the receiver box for the dimmer remote. It is not above the fan at the bracket area, and is not inside the wall switch box. Are there any other places that people put them?? With out removing the drywall, are there any secrets to finding where it was put?

Thanks for any help

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
it is usually in what we call the canopy, just above the lights below the blades, inside the housing

Reactions: bob22

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,733 Posts
Some fans come with integrated remotes, so it is part of the fan and not a separate box. If you have on of these it will have no pull chains for the light or fan speed.

Reactions: brric and J. V.

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
Does your fan have pull chains? If not, the unit is integrated into the electronics. Otherwise, it will be in the canopy at the ceiling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m
Does your fan have pull chains? If not, the unit is integrated into the electronics. Otherwise, it will be in the canopy at the ceiling.
no it does not have pull chains I can’t even locate the reverse switch for this hunter presto fan. The wall switch is the only thing that lets this fan work even though there is a remote as well. Would the wall switch have the receiver? I also opened where the light area would be for this fan (the one I have does not have a light) and there were only wires but no receiver box.

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
Your remote should have all the functions on it. Picture?

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
Do you know if your remote and fan dip switches are matched? Lower the top bell to see if the switch is up there. If not, raise the bottom bell. Make sure the switch positions are the same. Does the top right button on the remote operate the light?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know if your remote and fan dip switches are matched? Lower the top bell to see if the switch is up there. If not, raise the bottom bell. Make sure the switch positions are the same. Does the top right button on the remote operate the light?
That’s why I would like to locate the receiver because I don’t think the dip switches are matching. This fan doesn’t have the light but when I press the buttons on remote they all seem to blink red so no issues with the batteries. I opened the top and bottom but can’t seem to locate the receiver.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I wouldn’t count on leds lighting up as batteries OK. It takes less power to light the LEDs than to send the radio signal.

Ikid slap a fresh set of batteries in there just to see if it fixes the situation vs concluding its up in the fan. If new batteries don’t fix it, it’s an easy thing to swap back to the current set.
Or, measure the battery voltage/use a battery tester.

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
I did run across a Hunter fan once that had no dip switches. I had to "marry" the remote to the fan, but I can't remember what the instructions were. Do you have your instruction booklet? Can you get one online? There may be a way to enter codes to get it working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did run across a Hunter fan once that had no dip switches. I had to "marry" the remote to the fan, but I can't remember what the instructions were. Do you have your instruction booklet? Can you get one online? There may be a way to enter codes to get it working.
I just found one online I read through it but still don’t seem to understand what I should do. When I moved into this house the remote was in the room but it is not connected so I’m not sure if I should just replace this fan. Below I attached the online manual of what this fan is. https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/HunterFan/3913-01pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just found one online I read through it but still don’t seem to understand what I should do. When I moved into this house the remote was in the room but it is not connected so I’m not sure if I should just replace this fan. Below I attached the online manual of what this fan is. https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/HunterFan/3913-01pdf
Would the receiver be in the middle silver area right above the fan blades?

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
It could be. Let me look through the manual.

Edit: From the way it is wired all the "controls" are in the lower canopy either above the blades, or below them. In addition to the reverse switch on top of the lower canopy, look to see if the dip switches are poking their ugly head there as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts