DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
just support it with shot sand or a good packable dirt put sand under pipe to support and get 1/4 per foot fall then all around to prevent moving

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned your need to use some type of ABS to PVC adapter.

Do not use the ABS/PVC cement. It doesn't meet code for a reason....

Lowe's, and others, sells the proper threaded adapter that you need to make the transition...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned your need to use some type of ABS to PVC adapter.
Lowe's, and others, sells the proper threaded adapter that you need to make the transition...
Oh. I bought the PVC to ABS transition cement - green Oatey #30900. Isnt that the cement to be used?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
just support it with shot sand or a good packable dirt put sand under pipe to support and get 1/4 per foot fall then all around to prevent moving
Ok. Thank you. I am not very happy about this whole thing and the access issue. In a perfect world, I want to replace all the way to the elbow under the tee and build back up - however, got to finish the project.
Houston has clayey soil and I am putting back the soil that I excavated, spraying scant amounts of water and tamping it down to compact it well. planning to put more all the way up to the slab bottom, then vapor barrier plastic sheet, re-concrete and finish it up. Tile guy waiting to come back and finish tiling.

I will continue to update the thread with the progress and pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Oh. I bought the PVC to ABS transition cement - green Oatey #30900. Isnt that the cement to be used?
I don't recommend any transition glue. I've seen it fail many times. Stick with ABS fittings and ABS glue

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You'll most likely not find a ABS drain.

Ask/look for the threaded adapter.

That's the right way to make the transition...

·
Registered
5,918 Posts

read pvc instructions on cement can....IT WILL WORK ON ABS>>>>is it code thats another topic...you can not use abs glue on pvc pipe or fittings.....:yes:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
read pvc instructions on cement can....IT WILL WORK ON ABS>>>>is it code thats another topic...you can not use abs glue on pvc pipe or fittings.....:yes:

Ben,

The combo glue has been outlawed by code in most areas due to the fact that it tends to fail. So why would anyone want to take the chance?

Sure, a DIY'er will use it, and it may not leak, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do....

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Ben,

The combo glue has been outlawed by code in most areas due to the fact that it tends to fail. So why would anyone want to take the chance?

Sure, a DIY'er will use it, and it may not leak, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do....
yes ..it tends to fail ..so they say....again look at the thread as to what is happening.....the op won't cut it all out and start from scratch.....so 30 yrs in the trade never seen pvc glue on abs fail... he won't find abs drain like that he don't have height to use adapter if I read right......so what to do ....use the pvc glue get er done......move on.... it will work on that joint and hold......

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Back to the store to get ABS fittings and ABS cement.
hey guy why not slow down look at the whole picture here many people telling you alot of things to do ....think about what you are doing you have figured out a way to get your project done ....do it ....all this information is great in the right setting sometimes we don't get the right setting....then we make the best of it ...as long as its close to being right...your as close as you are going to get WITHOUT CUTTING IT ALL OUT...its your call.....ben

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
yes ..it tends to fail ..so they say....again look at the thread as to what is happening.....the op won't cut it all out and start from scratch.....so 30 yrs in the trade never seen pvc glue on abs fail... he won't find abs drain like that he don't have height to use adapter if I read right......so what to do ....use the pvc glue get er done......move on.... it will work on that joint and hold......
Ben, I agree with you except one point- ABS drains are a dime a dozen in my town so using PVC glue as a transition glue wouldn't be considered, but I've done it for 3034 sewer line to ABS building drain connections :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Ben, I agree with you except one point- ABS drains are a dime a dozen in my town so using PVC glue as a transition glue wouldn't be considered, but I've done it for 3034 sewer line to ABS building drain connections :thumbsup:
ok I agree ..if you can find abs drain ..most are pvc.....and yes using the glue is not the best..but if a home owner is going to mix abs and pvc...use the pvc glue....thanks

21 - 33 of 33 Posts