DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mystified by this one, last night my wife plugged the hairdryer into an outlet in our bedroom. The TV was on and a few other lights.

Something blew, and 2 of the 4 sockets in the room appear to be dead. There are also 3 other outlets dead in total in 1 other room.

I have no fuse box that I know of - I went to check my panel and none of the circuit breakers were switched. Just to check, I have reset every single one in the house multiple times, including the main breaker to the house (with everything unplugged upstairs) and nothing... nada.

Any help or suggestions? House is only 5 years old, never had issues that went beyond resetting a switch on my panel before.

THANKS!

Ian

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
Could be several things.
Look for a tripped GFI, it could be most anywhere, most likly in the bathroom.
Look at the breakers, do any have a red buttom on them. They may be arc fault breakers.
One loose back stabed outlet can also cause this to happen.

Reactions: hazey313

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
First what idiot wired the bedroom outlets to the bath outlets. It is not a blown GFCI, but most likely a backstabbed outlet, that the Neutral has come loose on.

You are lucky that your house did not catch on fire. Get an electrician to straighten the mess out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

greg - everything in the bathrooms is working and no GFI's are tripped so I don't think that is an issue.

greg & joe - thanks for the tip. I will check the back of the outlets now... what a pain in the arse!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm

opened up all 8 outlets that are dead, nothing seems out of the ordinary (all wires connected, no loose or disconnect ground)

assuming it is an issue with this arch fault breaker (I do have one in the basement), any further suggestions on how to remedy before I assume it's faulty?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Check all of the connections on the outlets to fix them if they are backstabbed, vs having the wire screwed down, then once you have done that, you can turn back on the breaker.

But again, what idiot wired that place with the bath & bedroom together? Also, where do you live, because codes are different between the U.S. & Canada, and other countries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
fixed!

It was the AFCB after all, I wasn't fully shutting it off then resetting!

This brings up another question though, is it normal to hear a humming from my box once I reset it... it's actually quite loud. as soon as I reset I heard the humming. normal?

thanks everyone for your help!

Greg - the bath and bedroom were not together. I think that was implied by another response on this board - but nothing in the bathroom shut off when the bedroom tripped last night.

·
Super Moderator
8,874 Posts
Push the test button and see if it trips and the humming gos away.
You may have to replace the breaker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts