DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
GC Girl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are building a new home and many wires were hanging down in the basement in loops. Someone came and cut them all and put them in a big construction bag. Don't know if it was a scrapper or vandalism. :sad: they all had labels on them. Ie. Air handler, Master condenser, Island, many CAT6 cables, Dishwasher, stove, Undercabinet lights... We had plans to finish part of the basement at some point too. But I don't understand for example why the dishwasher wire would be hanging down? etc... is this all going to be fixable and why were they all hanging down like that? we have already plastered all the walls upstairs. ugh.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Notifying police gets your problem on the list in case there are others. It also creates a police report that will help with the insurance claim.

This is not a small crime as the potential cost to repair this right can be many thousands of dollars. If you plan on covering the basement ceiling with drywall you can't have a bunch of splice boxes hidden up there which means all new wires and then repair of some drywall, think tens of thousands. Definitely take lots of pictures and get insurance in there before you tidy things up.

Bud

·
GC Girl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Bud9051! We have called insurance and i have provided all my photos. I'm just trying to understand why, for example, the "undercabinet light" wires were hanging in the basement in the first place when the main panel is only about 10 feet away on the same floor as the kitchen. Is there a specific reason for doing this?

·
GC Girl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like they were waiting to be installed in the panel.
If the panel is only about 10 feet away and you are dealing with completely open walls why wouldn't you run them straight from the panel originally? I apologise as I am not an electrician... and I don't want to offend my electrician by asking him directly until i have some understanding if this is common.

·
Super Moderator
9,586 Posts
If the panel is only about 10 feet away and you are dealing with completely open walls why wouldn't you run them straight from the panel originally? I apologise as I am not an electrician... and I don't want to offend my electrician by asking him directly until i have some understanding if this is common.
Since we are not there, we can only speculate as why the wires were hanging 10' from the panel.

Were the wires long enough to reach the panel?

·
Registered
628 Posts
The petty thieves do not realize the few dollars they get for the copper, has caused thousands in damages. This is what the drugs in this country has cost the good people. As you stated, only a couple things will ever solve this kind of issue.

·
GC Girl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since we are not there, we can only speculate as why the wires were hanging 10' from the panel.

Were the wires long enough to reach the panel?
I think they were... I will have to go back and check. The dishwasher line was hanging too which is also in that area. As an electrician is there any benefit to running wires under the floor vs through the ceiling or walls if you know the below area will be finished at some point as well?

·
Hammered Thumb
3,717 Posts
Doesn't sound like scrappers, the wires have to be stripped 2' at a time to get to the copper, they would've torn out any copper plumbing first. Besides, you said they cut them and put them in a large bag, which is still sitting there, so polite thugs? Call your GC/electrician, it has something to do with him, as the panel would have to have been roughed-in prior to drywall to pass inspection.

·
Super Moderator
9,586 Posts
I think they were... I will have to go back and check. The dishwasher line was hanging too which is also in that area. As an electrician is there any benefit to running wires under the floor vs through the ceiling or walls if you know the below area will be finished at some point as well?
That is hard to say without seeing the layout.
There is no one size fits all in this case.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,678 Posts
Cheaper than rerunning all the home runs, much cheaper. Only real con is the junction boxes must remain accessable when you finish the basement.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC
1 - 20 of 44 Posts