DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sewing table that folds down for storage, I also have a cutting mat the same size as the table.

I was hoping to permanently adhere the mat to the table and then cut it along the parts that fold. I want to make sure I do it right otherwise I risk ruining both pieces.

I researched my items and it says that the
Cutting mat is made of polyethylene

Table is made from composite with a vinyl type finish. Possibly MDG with a veneer top.

Any advice helps, thank you!

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
If the mat is a flat untextured sheet, I agree on the Contact Cement. Follow instructions. Disposable foam mini roller is useful for application.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What's going to happen if you run a cutting wheel across the 'joint' in your cut mat?
With a square mat, the diagonal will be about 1.4 times the length of one side. Cutting the square in half reduces the diagonal to about 1.1 times the long side. Ask yourself if this be acceptable for your longest cut.

·
Super moderator
1,474 Posts
contact cement would be nice - but it is PERMANENT.
AND - if a person has never worked with large projects with contact cement before, it could have a disasterous outcome.
3M-77 or other spray adhesives will also work, but can be a little messy if not taped off with newspaper applied to edges to control the overspray.
thin double faced scotch tape will also work.
I would only use DF tape on the corners and a couple of spots on the sides "just in case" it has to be removed at a later date.

·
Super Moderator
14,401 Posts
Another thought, if your cutting mat is good both sides you are limiting it's use to just one side. JMHO

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If it was me, I'd use the adhesive-backed velcro strips at each end to secure the mat to the table, so that it stays as one piece, but can be removed when the table needs to be folded. Either that, or I'd try the non-slip drawer liner and see if the mat would stay in place well enough without adhering it at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's going to happen if you run a cutting wheel across the 'joint' in your cut mat?
With a square mat, the diagonal will be about 1.4 times the length of one side. Cutting the square in half reduces the diagonal to about 1.1 times the long side. Ask yourself if this be acceptable for your longest cut.
That's actually a really good point. There's hardly any space between the pieces when my table is splayed out though. I'm not sure if it would make any difference besides a tiny "bump" down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thought, if your cutting mat is good both sides you are limiting it's use to just one side. JMHO
My cutting mat is only one sides, and the table is only for cutting, measuring and folding. The mat itself has a measuring graph on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it was me, I'd use the adhesive-backed velcro strips at each end to secure the mat to the table, so that it stays as one piece, but can be removed when the table needs to be folded. Either that, or I'd try the non-slip drawer liner and see if the mat would stay in place well enough without adhering it at all.
Also a really good idea, the main reason I need to adhere and cut the mat though is for saving space and convenience. It's pretty difficult to store the mat, it's about 3ft by 5ft. So it really only has the one purpose.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Store the mat against a wall. Possibly even slide it behind a bookcase for storage. Or just under your bed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Store the mat against a wall. Possibly even slide it behind a bookcase for storage. Or just under your bed.
A taped-up sleeve of heavy cardboard would work, but I'm not coming up with a way to keep the mat from making contact with the tape.

·
Super moderator
1,474 Posts
Ms.Collards - just out of curiosity, what kind of sewing projects do you make ?
is it possible to see a photo of your machine with the cutting board on (and off) it ?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm thinking the cutting board is more of a plastic mat that's placed on a flat surface. The mats often come in a cardboard tube and can be stored there, but the mats "shape memory" can cause issues. A straight edge is placed on the fabric and a cutting wheel cuts the fabric. Cutting wheels will slice through fabric and finger tips.
My daughter has been known to drive a hundred miles to a good going-out-of-business fabric store and return with a literal car load of material. She takes after her mother, whose mantra was "She who dies with the most fabric wins", so I speak with some alacrity.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What's the tape for?
To join 3 sides of 2 pieces of cardboard; the mat would be slipped in the open side. The height of the sleeve is a little greater that the height of the mat. The width is a little less to allow the mat to be grasped.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Oh, in that case you just tape a short piece of tape, sticky side to sticky side, in the middle of your long piece that fastens the 2 pieces of cardboard together:

(Brown is cardboard, red is long tape, blue is short tape.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts