DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a small farm in central Florida and are raising chickens for eggs, goats for milk/cheese/soap. We also have llamas for protecting the herd and for great manure. Since we are very new to farming, we have been reading as much as possible and visiting neighboring farms to gather as much information as possible. DIY sites have been helpful, and we need all the help we can get! We have several upcoming projects that we would like advice, suggestion on. So watch for our questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Llamas protecting the herd

Actually, llamas are very gentle and shy animals. One reason people think llamas are mean or that they spit (at people) is because of their experience in petting zoos. Llamas don't like to be handled a lot, but do like to be around people. They are totally trustworthy around our Nigerian Dwarf goats, even the babies. They protect the herd instinctively because that's THEIR herd in their minds. Usually they just rush the predator and that's enough. If they feel their herd is threatened, they could stomp a predator (very rare). Their size is enough to keep most predators away.

I'll send photos later. Meanwhile, we are trying to design a "pergola" type cover for an area in front of a building we use as the barn. I will be asking for help with some slope and size issues. Thanks, see you around the farm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments

Thank you for your comments and the llama information. Our llamas are great with the goats and the chickens. They are easy to manage and do a greate job of guarding the herd.
I will post my question about building a pergola in another section. Hope some of you will come up with some good ideas. Farmer Jane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts