DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have probably the original gas furnace in my house (c1969). It is a "Heil" brand. I replaced the thermostat a couple years ago and have not had a problem with that. This year when i lit the pilot light we noticed that it seemed like the fan kept running. When I went down to check it, the burner wasn't going, but the fan kept running and the temperature had gotten well past the thermostat setting. I think we had it on 69 and it was still running at 73-74. It seemed to work for a while but we did notice several times it continued to run well past the thermo setting. Another weird thing is when I would sometimes check it, and lift the metal face up to view the pilot/burner, the fan would cut off immediately. A few time I was able to make it shut just by slightly lifting the tabs out of the slot and pushing it back down. Last night we had the thermostat programmed to 65 and it was 73 when we woke up. I wasn't able to get down and check it right then, but it cut off at 73. I just took a look at it to get the brand name and type this post and noticed the movable plate that partially lifts so you can access/light the pilot was in the up position and I pushed it down. I'm not sure how long it has been like that or it it matters substantially? I'm also concerned that the pilot is running too hot. How big should that flame be? I have very little experience working with gas and am adept enough to know basic electric wiring. Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
pilot should be covering the thermal couple rod and that fan ON/OFF might have a panel button knock it off when you removed the cover if that is what you did....do you have a SILVER covered control box facing you when you remove the burner panel HONEWELL on it remove the cover and there is a round dialed plate with numbers on it:whistling2: removing a panel bumping the fan control off might be it...could be getting stuck just as the furnace cools off "like this" just a panel vibration being remved knocks the fan off on these...http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircond...&Category_Code=fl-5fl&Product_Code=FLT64B2228

1 - 3 of 3 Posts