DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some work done in my garage that eliminated a step/standing area under my electrical panel. The electrician doing the work (licensed, insured, etc.) said I needed to build a platform in front of the panel because it was too high off the floor.

Unfortunately, he's out of the country for a few days and won't be back until the day prior to the inspection. I neglected to ask him the dimensions of the platform and need to get it done today.

To the bottom of the panel is 67". Can somebody provide me the code requirements and maximum height above to the bottom of the panel?

Thanks.

·
Electrician
351 Posts
I know my code is the maximum height for an overcurrent protection device is 5' 8". That's here in Ontario Canada though. You're in Florida, not sure what it would be there. It should give you an idea though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Licensed electrician
13,390 Posts
The maximum height under the NEC is 6 foot 7 to the center of the highest breaker.

Reactions: bob22

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
The clear working space in front of the panel is 30 inches wide by 36 inches deep. I'd make the platform that size as a minimum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The panel has a main disconnect at the top. I'll build to that dimension to fall within the guidelines. There is a W/D 32" from the front of the panel. It's the sides of the W/D not the door sides. Contractor says the inspector will let that slide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts