DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
sweaty
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking of buying a new toilet. Our old ones are low enough that our 3-year-old can reach to pee. Are the new ones low enough?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
go to home depot and take a tape measure with you. the standard bowl should still be 14 inches and the handicapped height used to be 18 inches. most people just use a small stool so the little kids can reach. thats what we did.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
We're thinking of buying a new toilet. Our old ones are low enough that our 3-year-old can reach to pee. Are the new ones low enough?
Yes, standard height (14.5") and comfort height (16" to 17") are available, though the standard height toilets seem to be in the minority these days. (Heights are to top of porcelain.) I just bought a Toto Drake standard height toilet this past January.

Beware of buying "comfort height" toilets as comfort depends on the user. I'm 5'6" tall and my wife is 5'5" tall. The comfort height toilets feel uncomfortable to us. But maybe tall folks like 6' tall like the comfort height better. But I've also read where tall people like the standard height and vice versa. Some elderly folks find it easier to stand up from a comfort height toilet. --- Bottom line is that "comfort height" is just a name that manufacturers tacked on so don't buy a toilet based on that.

HRG

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,371 Posts
The standard rough size is 12 inches. If a bathroom remodel makes use of an existing rough-in that is another size, 10 or 14 inches..

Regards John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts