DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hang a furnace horizontally in my garage ceiling. There is no space to stand it up vertically because it will prevent car from being able to pull in.

Is there a height clearance requirement to hang a furnace? I have 8' ceilings.

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
Why don't you just buy a horizontal unit. It comes with instructions.

Also, you're going to end up killing someone by hanging a vertical unit horizontally.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why don't you just buy a horizontal unit. It comes with instructions.

Also, you're going to end up killing someone by hanging a vertical unit horizontally.
you've misunderstood. I do have a horizontal furnace. more specifically, a multi-poise. What I would like to find out is if there is a minimum height above the ground that the furnace has to be at? for example, high enough for someone to walk under. There is no such data in the manual

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
you've misunderstood. I do have a horizontal furnace. more specifically, a multi-poise. What I would like to find out is if there is a minimum height above the ground that the furnace has to be at? for example, high enough for someone to walk under. There is no such data in the manual
Might be more of a building code question. Try the local building dept.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be more of a building code question. Try the local building dept.
thanks. That's what I figure. I was going to drop by the office when I get time. Until then, I wanted to see if there was any input here. I imagine the requirements, if any, would be similar in many counties.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
thanks. That's what I figure. I was going to drop by the office when I get time. Until then, I wanted to see if there was any input here. I imagine the requirements, if any, would be similar in many counties.
I'm thinking the earthquake counties might be a bit more stringent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts