DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're shopping around for new floor tile for our home. People have always tole me that Porcelain tile is better than Ceramic but I have no idea why. Is there a such thing as Heavy Duty Ceramic tile? Wife found a tile she and I liked from a local flooring store but it was ceramic. Asked the guy if it's available in porcelain and he said no. But said this a heavy duty ceramic and just as good as porcelain. So just wondering if he was trying to blow smoke up my ass or being honest.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
As long as the ceramic is rated as floor tile, you are fine.

An Explanation of Ceramic Tile Ratings
The 1 to 5 tile rating applies only to one aspect of tile: visible surface abrasion resistance, which is fancy talk for how readily scratches show on the tile’s surface. A tile rating of 5 is the toughest in terms of standing up to scratching, dirt and traffic, one is the easiest to damage. See below for a quick breakdown of the 1 to 5 ceramic tile ratings system:

Grade 1: This is the weakest of all standard grade ceramic tiles. It’s really only suitable as a wall tile.

Grade 2: This is best for light traffic areas. Again, a great product for wall tiles, but it will also work in residential bathrooms, where foot traffic is minimal.

Grade 3: Where ceramic tile ratings are concerned, grade three is most common in residential building, and perfect for light to moderate traffic. This makes it a very sensible choice for residential kitchens, countertops, residential flooring, and all areas that receive lighter wear and tear (i.e., grade 1 and 2 areas).

Grade 4: This grade is a step up from grade 3 tile grades. It’s still a good choice for residential uses, such as tile floors and countertops, but it can also take the heavier abuse of light commercial foot traffic, such as you’d find in a doctor’s office.

Grade 5: This stuff is as tough as it gets. When it comes to standard grade ceramic tiles, grade 5 is built to take a beating. It’s mostly used in high traffic commercial areas such as shopping malls and airports.

Reactions: stick\shift

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Ceramic and porcelain are basically the same thing. Porcelain is ceramic. They test the water aborption of the tile - if it's below .5%, it's called "impervious" and it's porcelain. This is not normally a concern, except for outdoor applications where it can get wet and freeze - porcelain is recommended there because regular ceramic tile can absorb a little more water and then crack when it freezes.

Other than that, both are fine. rjniles explained the durability rating, the most important being that you shouldn't use tiles rated for walls on your floor, because they're too light duty. But of course you can use floor tiles for walls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.