DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The use of a timer for heat tape is an energy saver. Where would I obtain a timer? Where would it tie into the circuit when the heat tape is hard-wired?
I am located in Colorado where there is a lot of snow and repeated melting / freezing temperatures throughout the winter months.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
You do not need a timer for a heat tape. They come with a thermostatic device that attaches on the piping you are trying to protect, and will turn it on at a certain temp, then off when it gets to a certain temp. A timer defeats the purpose of having heat tape, and can fail, then you get frozen pipes. The same can be said if you lose power also anytime during Winter.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Also doing anything you can to help prevent the pipes from freezing is recommended. I have made insulated boxes around lengths of pipes to prevent freezing and it works pretty good.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
The use of a timer for heat tape is an energy saver. Where would I obtain a timer? Where would it tie into the circuit when the heat tape is hard-wired?
I am located in Colorado where there is a lot of snow and repeated melting / freezing temperatures throughout the winter months.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Which heat tape appaction are you refering to the water pipe protection or on the roof where to keep the snow melted to prevent ice damming up ?

There is few differnt proper heat tapes to use them so once you confirm that question we can able assit you more on that.

For the water pipes I genrally go with self regulated heat tape. Sure I know it cost more but it worth it than a single thermostat heat tape does it due it will keep the whole pipe at proper tempture.

Make sure you follow the manufacter instruction very carefull to get the best use of them.

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: retdoc100

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which heat tape appaction are you refering to the water pipe protection or on the roof where to keep the snow melted to prevent ice damming up ?

There is few differnt proper heat tapes to use them so once you confirm that question we can able assit you more on that.

For the water pipes I genrally go with self regulated heat tape. Sure I know it cost more but it worth it than a single thermostat heat tape does it due it will keep the whole pipe at proper tempture.

Make sure you follow the manufacter instruction very carefull to get the best use of them.

Merci,
Marc
Sorry. I was referring to the roof heat tape to prevent ice dams. The lines (with 2 separate breakers) were installed and hard wired. I had been turning them on in November and off in April. I don't know where I would connect timers to save on electricity.
Thanks the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.