DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have a heat pump unit with Aux backup heat. I'm having a problem with the Aux heat coming on after turning the temp up 1 degree. Today it was 64 degrees and I turn the thermostat up 1 degree and the aux heat came on again. I have switched thermostats in the house and replaced the defrost control board and the aux heat still comes on.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Depending on what thermostat is used this could be completely normal.
Heat pumps work best, and most efficiently, by leaving a consistent setpoint.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Does it come on immediately after raising?

A lot of stats will bring on the aux heat very quick. You're supposed to maintain a constant temperature to avoid that.

If yours is a honeywell, you should be able to adjust the aux heat cycle rate. The default could be very high like 9 cph and if you set it to 3 or lower it won't as readily cycle on.

If you have an emerson/white rogders, you may be able to adjust the span, i think it uses a deadband.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
I can't find the full installation manual for that one - only the operating manual and quickstart guide.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I couldn’t find it either. Lots of quick start manuals and user guides.
But this should be adjustable in the user settings.
OP, is it your desire to raise and lower the setpoint in heating mode with this thermostat?

·
Administrator
41,228 Posts
Go into to set up, and look if you can adjust the aux heat setting. It may be listed as economy and comfort. Switch to economy if that thermostat has that option. Some allow you to set it in degrees. The ones I'm talking about are the contractor grade ones. Your retail store version may not have that ability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts