DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks -

Newbie question here.

I have a vacation home and have recently installed four wifi stats so I can monitor home temperature while away. There is one on each floor (basement, first, second) and a bonus room over the garage controlling four Bryant heat pumps.

I have been playing with the settings and researching the pros/cons of winter settings for vacation homes with heat pumps.

The home is very well insulated.

I now see that if I heat the basement (to say 58) the warm air rising approach keeps the first floor (at 55) and second floor (at 53) sufficiently warm so I have turned the first and second floor heat pumps off for a couple days during this latest round of testing.

I am only in day 2 of this latest test, so no guarantee that the above will continue.

Current temperature in this NC residence is 31degrees.

Assuming this latest test continues with the above results, does anyone see a problem with continuing this as my "Winter Vacation Mode" of operation over the next couple of winter months?

I.e., one basement heat pump effectively heating the three floors?

The bonus room heat pump remains on at its own setting (58) since it is over the garage and not impacted by the basement heating.

Can I do any damage to the heat pumps keeping them off over the next several winter months?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It could be a problem if the basement heat pump fails and the house freezes or you get an unusual severe cold snap. If you set the upper two at 50 they won't run at all but will serve as emergency backup should those other two scenarios happen. Shouldn't hurt a heat pump to sit idle for a few months.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts