DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my small town home in Feb of 2011 and I have never done any maintenance work to the heat pump, which is also our cooling system in the summer.

As I am a new home owner, I just wonder if I am supposed to regularly maintain my heat pump/AC system like once a year or something? If so, what do I need to do?

Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It would be best to have a pro check out the system. You should be checking the filters every month. The indoor and outdoor coil should be cleaned at least 2 times per year. The drain pan and line should also be checked periodically to make sure its not clogged.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Regular filter changes, Clean around outside unit,check the coils ,clean if necessary,check and clean inside coil.Check drain pan and drain line for good drainage. To me,if the air temp is acceptable there is no need to check refrigerant.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. It looks like I do need to hire some contractor to do it as I don't understand the kind of terminologies you guys use. My home temperature is good though. Oh, attached is a picture of my heat pump, which is under my deck, with no cover. So when it rains, water will fall into the unit through the cracks of my deck. Not a concern?

Attachments

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Basically keep the outdoor unit clean.

A simple water hose with good nozzle will keep the debries out of the coil but you don't have to do this often usealy once in spring time and once in fall unless you have alot of leaves get too close to the unit then do it more often to keep the unit working good.

After I look at the photo IMO it look little tight in that area for the airflowage.

For the indoor unit air handler change the air filter about once a month or so to keep the indoor unit working good shape.

Do this indoor air handler do have a back up heat like gaz furance or electrique heating elements in there?

That something you should check on that as well due some heat pumps do not work very well when you get a very cold days.

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: userid

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I have lived in this house for 21 years. I had a heat pump installed 19 years ago.

I change the filters and keep the condensing unit clean.

In the first year I had free scheduled checks by the installer who only did what I do.
Filters and check outside.
It has not been professionally inspected or checked for 18 years. I runs fine and heats and cools fine.

There is little if anything the average homeowner can do. Adding freon without finding the leak is just dumb unless its a temporary fix until you can get on the leak issue.

IMO, there is little the HO can do in regards to their central air, with the exception of filters. There is no scheduled maintenance that I know of.
And the paperwork on the unit says nothing about maintenance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The fact that your heat pump has been working for so many years without a problem is truly amazing. OK, so there is little we average HO can do about it. How about air duct? We do need to have professionals come and vacuum clean it every year, don't we?

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
The fact that your heat pump has been working for so many years without a problem is truly amazing. OK, so there is little we average HO can do about it. How about air duct? We do need to have professionals come and vacuum clean it every year, don't we?
Not really need to be clean every year unless you have speical situation that required annuial cleaning.

Most case useally once every 5 years or so depending how dirty the filter catch them if very little dirt show up on filter then it will be much longer unless have bad fitting filter.

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: userid
1 - 10 of 10 Posts