DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing off the sides of my heat pump, when I realized sand had collected around it, covering the pad and about an inch up the back of the unit. Partially covering the grills. I dug out the dirt and finished washing everything off.

I want to put a small retaining wall on the right of the unit, probably where the black drainage pipe is now. How much clearance should I have to the right of the unit? Connections are on the back right corner.

Here's a picture:

·
Administrator
41,870 Posts
Most units want 24 inches.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to put up the very short block wall on the right side about 12" away from the unit. It would be 2' tall, and removable in the event the unit needs to be repaired. So if 12" is enough for airflow, i'm all set. But I want to make sure the unit would have enough air flow.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd like to put up the very short block wall on the right side about 12" away from the unit. It would be 2' tall, and removable in the event the unit needs to be repaired. So if 12" is enough for airflow, i'm all set. But I want to make sure the unit would have enough air flow.
According to my code book, that is fine. One issue you may have is the electrical disconnect. It is suppose to be free from obstruction and access. Not blocked by the unit. Your retaining wall may make it harder to get to that box which may create an inspection problem down the road if you further close it off.

In terms of airflow, you are probably fine with the 12" clearance.

-Jeff

·
Administrator
41,870 Posts
The recommendations for my unit as well as the code complete book I got said 12" from the wall on two sides.
I didn't say all units/brands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts