DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

We just condemned a heat exchanger and a inducer assembly on a Carrier rooftop unit M# 48TME008-A-501.

The inducer is going to be standard but the heat exchanger looks to be a bit more difficult to get to.

Anyone have any experience with these or know about how much time will be needed to get in there and do the job right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Done many. The heat exchanger slides out to the front. 8 hours 2 guys minimum. A crane may be involved depending on the roof. Order the gaskets as well. And get several tubes of high temp red silicone.
Some choose to replace the unit instead, depending on its condition.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Done many. The heat exchanger slides out to the front. 8 hours 2 guys minimum. A crane may be involved depending on the roof. Order the gaskets as well. And get several tubes of high temp red silicone.
Some choose to replace the unit instead, depending on its condition.
Would be a fairly awkward roof to need a crane. They don't weigh that much. (56lbs according to Carrier) Otherwise, that's usually what we quote, but it is often much more smoother.

OP: It's been about a year since the last Carrier of this model type that I've replaced. (All of those units are being replaced by the York look alike instead of new HX) anyways, IIRC:
- Open Blower section and remove HX panel.
- remove burner assembly
- remove screws holding HX to burner section wall.
- I think that you have to remove the inducer motor
- whole HX slides out. (There might be an extra piece to remove first. I can't remember until I see one again.)
- Install new in reverse order.

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Here's a video of one. I have some reservations about their techniques, but mostly do the same job. We pull the belt from the blower so we can test the high limit at the same time. It burns of the oil better. Warn the people inside not to call the fire department

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Would be a fairly awkward roof to need a crane. They don't weigh that much. (56lbs according to Carrier) Otherwise, that's usually what we quote, but it is often much more smoother.

OP: It's been about a year since the last Carrier of this model type that I've replaced. (All of those units are being replaced by the York look alike instead of new HX) anyways, IIRC:
- Open Blower section and remove HX panel.
- remove burner assembly
- remove screws holding HX to burner section wall.
- I think that you have to remove the inducer motor
- whole HX slides out. (There might be an extra piece to remove first. I can't remember until I see one again.)
- Install new in reverse order.

Cheers!
Some roof access means are less then ideal. It becomes more about dealing with something that’s an awkward size then weight. A few times, we’ve had units sunken into rooftop mechanical areas with 10 or 12’ walls all around. And a roof hatch too small to fit the heat exchanger through. At that point, it’s easier and safer to get a sign truck to set the new heat exchanger on the roof.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Some roof access means are less then ideal. It becomes more about dealing with something that’s an awkward size then weight. A few times, we’ve had units sunken into rooftop mechanical areas with 10 or 12’ walls all around. And a roof hatch too small to fit the heat exchanger through. At that point, it’s easier and safer to get a sign truck to set the new heat exchanger on the roof.
Our regulations are too strict, we can't get a sign truck to do that. Luckily we don't have many high parapets. They are either 3" or 3', mostly brick siding. Makes it easier to deal with. Just a pair of ropes and some cardboard (from the shipping box) to keep it from scratching the wall.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts