DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heating vents in our new home are in our floors. While recently cleaning them out I found about 1/2 inch of dirt in view in the front room vents. While vacuuming both lengths of the ducts as far as I could reach with the vacuum hose (3-4 feet) I could hear that a lot of dirt was being sucked up. Is there an explanation for this. I expected a pile of dirt under the opening and some dust in the ducts but not a pile of dirt in the ducts.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
A lot of stuff gets into ducts during construction, and often never gets cleaned out. And running the system without a filter will add dust, animal fur, ect. You must be the first to clean your ducts.

·
6,520 Posts
Agreed, sounds like either residual construction debris or a lack of maintenance. Just have them professionally cleaned and keep a clean furnace filter in the unit and you shouldn't have problems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, sounds like either residual construction debris or a lack of maintenance. Just have them professionally cleaned and keep a clean furnace filter in the unit and you shouldn't have problems.
Thanks for the information. Having that dirt blowing around the heat ducts all these years sound gross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts