DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. Not sure if in in the right place but just have a question. I got a wood burning stove fire my barn a few months back for my barn. Haven’t installed it yet but will be a project over the summer to be ready for next winter. If my barn is concrete floor do I still need to build and put the stove on a hearth? And what should the dimensions be for the back wall behind the stove for brick or stone? Thanks

·
1,328 Posts
Check with your local fire marshal and also with your insurance carrier.

Not sure where you are, but around here a wood stove in a garage or shop has to be raised 1' off the floor even with a concrete floor.

For your setbacks and backing you will need the clearance distances from the stove manufacturer. Or the fire marshal.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Our code requires sources of ignition of heavier than air vapors to be at least 18” above the floor in a garage. Whether it needs to be raised would depend on the height of the firebox from the floor.

·
Usually Confused
7,244 Posts
If it is a barn, as in made of wood and full of of critters, feed and forage, in my humble opinion, an open flame heat source is a patently bad idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is a barn, as in made of wood and full of of critters, feed and forage, in my humble opinion, an open flame heat source is a patently bad idea.
Brand new barn. A year and a half old. Concrete floor and metal siding. No critter yet just field mice here and there but have pellets down and under control

·
Usually Confused
7,244 Posts
Brand new barn. A year and a half old. Concrete floor and metal siding. No critter yet just field mice here and there but have pellets down and under control

You say no critters "yet". Curious what you are planning on raising that requires heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You say no critters "yet". Curious what you are planning on raising that requires heat.
No critters going to be in there lol. I thought you meant nuisance ones. Just heating it for when I’m out there working

1 - 8 of 8 Posts