DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the specifics are:

2 story CH colonial on a slab, I have a 17 foot load bearing wall in the middle of one side of the house which is holding up the 2nd story floor but no walls directly above so no roof load. The wall is carrying a span of about 26 feet from the front to back of the house. I want to remove as much of the wall as possible without getting into breaking the foundation to pour footers for lally columns. I would like to use 2- 2x12's supported by 3 or so cripples on each side. Can I go 10 or 12 feet? I wouldn't mind buying a pre-made LVL or Flitch beam, but do not want to have to pour footings. So 1. are 2x12's enough or do I need a special beam, and 2. will the slab my house is on support that weight without footers?

Thank you in advance.

·
Residential Designer
1,483 Posts
Your question can not be answered with any degree accuracy on an internet forum, even one that has a SUUUPPPER GENIUS such as myself on it.

An engineer's analysis is a must have on this one.

Andy.

·
11,730 Posts
The built-up beam or engineered wood beam is on charts, the slab is only 4" and the point load under the supports may require 6-12" thick by ? wide concrete footing to disperse the load, depending on soil and engineering calculations. We can help you build it, not design it. You will want a paper trail for this for your Homeowners Insurance carrier and when you go to sell it will be in your house records with the County.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts